How would a space elevator effect manned space exploration?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mikejz

I noticed that there seem to be two parallel topics, one on proposed planetary missions (M2M, Mars Direct, etc) and also some talk of the space elevator. I noticed however that that the talked about cost of a space elevator ($10-$15 billion) Seems rather in line, if somewhat on the cheap side of all the projects being talked about. I know that many still are not on board with the idea, but I am wondering how the announcement that someone (private industry, NASA, etc) would effect the current long term plans for planetary exploration?

O

orzek

i think 10 to 15 billion is rather optimistic as well as the thought that such a contraption could actually be built. Even though they say the physics has been sorted out I still think reality will make such a project a failure due to our present state of development and technology.

M

mikejz

Well even at $50 Billion it still is looking at costing less than ISS.

J

jcdenton

The design still hasn't been worked out on paper yet so there is no telling of what the cost will be. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

N

nacnud

"The design still hasn't been worked out on paper yet so there is no telling of what the cost will be."<br /><br />There are some very comprehensive studies but the main problem is still materials, nothing, not event nanotubes, has yet shown the properties needed for a space eleveator.<br /><br />A good study is given by the Institute for Scientific Research here.<br /><br />The ISRs more general site is here

Status
Not open for further replies.