HR 6063 passed by Congress and signed by President Bush- what does this mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

trailrider

<p>President Bush has signed into law the NASA Authorization Act of 2008, for Fiscal Year 2009.&nbsp; Among other things it <em>requires</em> NASA to fly ULF-4 and ULF-5 Shuttle Utilization flights AND the Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer flight <em>in addition to</em> the baseline flight manifest prior to retirement of the Shuttle.&nbsp; Yet it says in Sec. 611(c) that these events are "anticipated to occur in 2010".&nbsp; In addition, it apparently (you have to wade through the language...18 pages of it...) authorizes Orion/Ares I, but makes no mention of Ares V.&nbsp; It also states that the goal of Lunar exploration is a <em>human-tended </em>lunar base, not a continuously tended one!</p><p>My question is does this FY2009 law supercede the Continuing Budget Resolution which expires the end of March 2009, and whether it does or doesn't can't the 112th Congress pass modifications to it, and/or the next President refuse to spend the funds, even though HR 6063 <em>mandates</em> certain items?</p><p>Is this good or bad? I'm not sure...</p><p>Ad LEO! Ad Luna! Ad Ares! Ad Astra! </p>

J

JonClarke

<p>Thaaks for wading through this on our behalf!</p><p>Flying ULF-4 and ULF-5 Shuttle Utilization flights AND the Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer flight is probably a good thing.&nbsp; Not only should this hardware go up it eases the logistics burden and provides a hedge against delays with COTS.</p><p>I can't see this not stretching into 2011 though.</p><p>Pity there is nothing about Ares V, but i fear for its future under the current climate regardless who wins the US election.</p><p>man-tended means a station periodically visited, like Skylab or the Salyuts, but not continuously occupied like Mir or the ISS.&nbsp; It's an intermediate stage between sorties and permnant presence.</p><p>Jon</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p>WASHINGTON -- The following is a statement by NASA Administrator Michael Griffin after the signing by the president of the NASA Authorization Act of 2008: <br /><br />"I'm grateful to the president for his signature on the NASA Authorization Act of 2008. The major provisions of this authorization bill affirm Congress' support for the broad goals of the president's space exploration policy, including the return of American astronauts to the moon, exploration of Mars and other destinations." <br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

T

trailrider

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>WASHINGTON -- The following is a statement by NASA Administrator Michael Griffin after the signing by the president of the NASA Authorization Act of 2008: "I'm grateful to the president for his signature on the NASA Authorization Act of 2008. The major provisions of this authorization bill affirm Congress' support for the broad goals of the president's space exploration policy, including the return of American astronauts to the moon, exploration of Mars and other destinations." <br />Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV></p><p>From what I have been reading elsewhere, HR 6063 only <em>authorizes</em> these things, and a maximum amount of funding... if the funds are subsequently <em>appropriated</em> by a separate bill that is hanging fire in Congress!&nbsp; NASA is operating under the Continuing Resolution, which limits funding to $17.3billion until either a new appropriations bill is passed, or another CR is passed.&nbsp; This won't happen until the 112th Congress is in session after Jan 20, 2009!&nbsp; In otherwords, "We authorize you (NASA) to spend up to $20.1 billion...&nbsp; Good luck getting that much after Jan 20th!"</p><p>Ad LEO! Ad...whatever you can afford! :(</p>

Status
Not open for further replies.