Hubble - Birth of Universe - on UWTV in 10 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

newtonian

Just giving you all a heads up on whats on channel 9404, Dish Network, UWTV at 7 PM CST (Central Standard Time, U.S.A.)<br /><br />I will post more later, including notes, questions and comments. <br /><br />Specifically - glimpsing the birth of the universe.<br /><br />If I remember correctly, UWTV is from the University of Washington.<br /><br />

N

newtonian

UWTV – 9404 – on Hubble Space Telescope, 2003, glimpsing the birth of the universe.<br /><br />Bruce Margon, Space Telescope Science Institute, speaking and showing slide photos, etc.<br /><br />Most light does not pass through earth’s atmosphere – in fact it is stopped in “the first few inches” of our atmosphere.<br /><br />Thus, Hubble is necessary.<br /><br />Length 44’, 25,000 lbs., 94’ mirror?<br /><br />25th largest telescope, but advantage of being above earth’s atmosphere – hence can give sharper images and include wavelengths of light not reaching earth’s surface.<br /><br />Uses spectographs for chemical composition.<br /><br />Photometers measures light.<br /><br />Orbits 15 times per day.<br /><br />Only 300 miles up.<br /><br />Computers on board do preliminary analysis. Data relayed and amplified by other satellites.<br /><br />Space telescope institute oversees operations – it is international in availability..<br /><br />1000 proposals are received each year for use, only 1 of 8 are permitted due to lack of time available.<br /><br />Conducts 150-200 separate scientific projects.<br /><br />Best of Hubble photos – watching…<br /><br />Hubble photo of volcanic eruption, 250 miles up above surface, moving 2,000 mph. Comes and goes.<br /><br />Gravity of Jupiter (variable) causes volcanic activity on Io.<br /><br />Fuzzy photo of Pluto and Charon.<br /><br />Incredibly sharper Hubble photo of Pluto and Charon!<br /><br />Photos of birthplaces of stars and planets.<br /><br />Born continually in universe.<br /><br />Photo of Orion nebulae - huge cloud of gas heated by stars – birthplace of new stars.<br /><br />Density of sun is about the same as water.<br /><br />Closeup of Orion, showing new solar systems in progress of birth – before star is born.<br /><br />Hubble’s 12 years of beautiful photographs – especially the Eagle nebulae (Pillars of Creation).<br /><br />Little stalks of gas sticking our of top of one pillar, new stars being born at tips shown due to blowing off of surrounding gas.<br />

N

newtonian

Ramayana - Your welcome.<br /><br />I really wonder why Margon stated that all galaxies are receeding from each other, and emphasizing that this was not theory but proven by observation.<br /><br />When, in fact, earlier he had already stated that Andromeda was heading for Milky Way (or vice versa) for encounter in 4-5 billion years!<br /><br />It seems likely he knew many galaxies are blue shifted, while granted the vast majority are red shifted.<br /><br />It also seems likely that he knew about the Great Attractor.<br /><br />My thought is that he might prefer the heat death scenario for our universe, or something similar.<br /><br />However, I found it faith strengthening how much unpredicted variety is out there among the stars (Biblical quote: star differs from star in glory) - and how beautiful many of these stars are which are shedding gas and matter in such unpredicted and amazing patterns.<br /><br />And, of course, those amazing Hubble photos!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts