Hubble Finds Hundreds Young Galaxies in Early Universe

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

search

Astronomers analyzing two of the deepest views of the cosmos made with NASA's Hubble Space Telescope have uncovered a gold mine of galaxies, more than 500 that existed less than a billion years after the Big Bang. This sample represents the most comprehensive compilation of galaxies in the early universe, researchers said. The discovery is scientifically invaluable for understanding the origin of galaxies, considering that just a decade ago early galaxy formation was largely uncharted territory. Astronomers had not seen even one galaxy that existed when the universe was a billion years old, so finding 500 in a Hubble survey is a significant leap forward for cosmologists. This Hubble Space Telescope image shows 28 of the more than 500 young galaxies the researchers uncovered in their analysis of two Hubble surveys.<br /><br />http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/newsdesk/archive/releases/2006/12/

V

vandivx

wonder if the image might be subset of this HST deep sky image<br /><br />http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/newsdesk/archive/releases/2004/07/image/a+zoom<br /><br />I always like to dream looking at these deep sky images but those newly discovered galaxies that you post about are not seen in those deep view images at all, for normal eyes anyway, I take it this discovery goes beyond what one can see in those images oneself<br /><br />vanDivX <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

K

Kalstang

Everytime I look at pictures like this and hear of new discoveries concerning galaxies it makes me feel really really small when compared to the rest of the galaxy. It also makes me wonder how in the world can people think that we are the only forms of life out there.<br /><br />500 new galaxies discovered...and this with the very limited technology that we have...heck combined with the galaxies we already know of and the ones discovered and the ones we've yet to discover...our galaxy alone is a very small place to live in when compared to the rest of the universe. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#ffff00"><p><font color="#3366ff">I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer.</font> <br /><font color="#ff0000">"Imagination is more important then Knowledge" ~Albert Einstien~</font> <br /><font color="#cc99ff">Guns dont kill people. People kill people</font>.</p></font><p><font color="#ff6600">Solar System</font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.