Hubble Repair (STS-125) Mission Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MeteorWayne

As we have done in the past, we start a new thread beginning with the launch. It will be locked until about MECO (Main Engine Cutoff). At that time, we'll open this one, and close the pre launch thread. Hopefully that will be just after 2 PM EDT tomorrow!

A

aphh

You could actually see from the ET video how much higher they were going compared to usual. How do they prevent the tank from following them to orbit? Are the explosive bolts enough thrust for the tank to make it not reach orbital velocity?

M

MeteorWayne

IIRC, they do a small maneuver at ET separation using thrusters.

M

MeteorWayne

Post launch News Conference at the top of the hour on NASA TV

A

aphh

MeteorWayne":3owa0xqp said:
IIRC, they do a small maneuver at ET separation using thrusters.

Okay, I thought something like that would be necessary. A small amount of momentum directed to right angle combined with small amount of thrust from releasing the tank makes the tank lose just enough velocity to drop out from orbit.

I wonder if it will go around the world when dropped from ~700 km and with almost orbital velocity.

M

MeteorWayne

I can't remember the detail, but I believe it does around one orbit before an ocean impact. Good question.

N

newsartist

It has been a long while, but I think previous Hubble mission tanks splashed well south of Hawaii. (But close enough that one of the astronomy mags had pictures from the south beach of the Big Island.)

They vent the tank after the Orbiter is clear, and that provides some deorbit thrust too.

*edit*

Alzheimers hasn't hit yet.

The impact zone for the STS-125 ET is near Hawaii, but in daylight this time. An effort to study it is mentioned on this website, along with a painting an dphotos of past reentries seen from Hawaii:

http://shuttle.seti.org/

A

aphh

newsartist":xhuiiv7a said:
It has been a long while, but I think previous Hubble mission tanks splashed well south of Hawaii. (But close enough that one of the astronomy mags had pictures from the south beach of the Big Island.)

They vent the tank after the Orbiter is clear, and that provides some deorbit thrust too.

*edit*

Alzheimers hasn't hit yet.

The impact zone for the STS-125 ET is near Hawaii, but in daylight this time. An effort to study it is mentioned on this website, along with a painting an dphotos of past reentries seen from Hawaii:

http://shuttle.seti.org/

Thanks! I hadn't thought about outgassing the tank being used as a source of thrust, but now that you mention it, it is an obvious source of small amount of thrust.

Also, lots of good info about the re-entry. Thanks again!

R

rocketscientist327

Locked in my cubicle and unable to watch... Any news of debris?

VR
RS327

M

MeteorWayne

The post launch news conference said there was nothing of concern detected.

R

rocketscientist327

MeteorWayne":1coikzb1 said:
The post launch news conference said there was nothing of concern detected.
Thanks... While sitting in Mrs. Kolar's 4th grade science class in 1983, I always dreamed there would be two shuttles in orbit at the same time.

I am glad that this first look is positive and hope like hell my dream never comes to fruition.

/back to "teh" grind

A

aphh

Well, one of the managers said it quite well, along with Shuttle will go a lot of on-orbit capabilities that simply won't exist in any other spacecraft.

Not that there's been a lot of demand for said capabilities on orbit, besides ISS and HST construction/servicing, but still. We won't have a ship after Shuttle. We will only have a ferry at best.

Is this a downgrade or what.

C

CalliArcale

Sweet, thanks, Jeff_in_Space! I missed the launch due to a meeting, so I'm very glad you posted that link! I mean sure, every launch looks pretty much the same, but they're still beautiful anyway.

L

ljg

I was surprised at the post-launch press conference that NASA said they saw no debris. I was watching the launch replays of the cameras posted around the launch site before the news conference, and on two of the replays there was what appeared to be the same large piece of white debris, over two feet in diameter by my reckoning. Watch the first 30 seconds or so of cameras UCS-15 (TV-21A) and KSC DOAMS (TV-16). In the first video, just as Atlantis emerges above the plume of vapor on the launch pad, the debris comes from somewhere on the external tank, approximately adjacent to the left side of Atlantis' cockpit and falls down behind the left wing. The other camera is looking at the back, or underside of the left wing, and on that video, a piece of debris appears behind and at the top of the wing and falls down and out of sight into the rockets' exhaust. By stopping the action, I could measure the diameter of the piece in the latter video and compare it to the diameter of the SRB body in the same frame. The piece of debris was about 1/5 the (12 foot) diameter of the SRB. Hence my guess that the piece was about 2 feet in size. It didn't appear that the piece hit the wing, and the event occurred so early that the shuttle wasn't going very fast. But still, I was a little dismayed that NASA hadn't seen it. ljg

N

newsartist

From your description, I suspect you saw the lightweight plastic covers that protect the RCS thrusters. They are designed to catch the airflow at low speed and rip off.

M

MeteorWayne

Shuttle is expected to grab the Hubble at 12:54 PM tomorrow, with a few hours of activity leading up to that event; first spacewalk is scheduled to start just after 8 AM Thursday.

J

Jeff_In_Space

:D My wife and son drove in from Orlando and watched from Jetty Park. They thought it was awesome.
CalliArcale":gaam1cpa said:
Sweet, thanks, Jeff_in_Space! I missed the launch due to a meeting, so I'm very glad you posted that link! I mean sure, every launch looks pretty much the same, but they're still beautiful anyway.

M

MeteorWayne

Shuttle is expected to grab the Hubble at 12:54 PM tomorrow, with a few hours of activity leading up to that event; first spacewalk is scheduled to start just after 8 AM Thursday.

B

bobble_bob

How much of the EVA's will we see on Nasatv? Normally during an EVA at the ISS we have camera's on the ISS streaming the content to earth. I know the shuttle has a few camera's onboard, but will they be able to capture the whole EVA?

T

Testing

On launch day they were checking out a new HDTV camera on the ET so I think they intend to show quite a bit plus the helmet cams. I'm not sure if the new cam will go out the hatch but would bet on it. I would think the engineers on the ground will want the best possible views of each procedure. This is a pretty criticle mission with alot riding on everything going perfect. I did the thermal vacuum testing on a component of WPC-3 to be installed on EVA-3 I believe. When it is all done and checked out the new imaging systems are going to knock the world's socks off.

T

tanstaafl76

Is there a separate thread that discusses the shuttle damage?

N

newsartist

tanstaafl76":215x19ck said:
Is there a separate thread that discusses the shuttle damage?
Mention of it, (black tile, 104-106 second debris impact,) should certainly be made here, to keep the timeline in sequence.

If the discussion veers off into a technical area new thread(s) would be helpful, and post a link to them here please?

Also, this thread is about STS-125/STS-400 in-flight activity. Use another thread if you feel the need to mention any other mission?

N

nimbus

Those are stars and nebula in the background of the TPS inspection camera's feed, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts