HUman and Robotic Spaceflight Complimentarity

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BReif

In recent years, there has been much debate over the relationship between human and robotic space programs, and whether human spaceflight was something that needed to be continued, since robotic science missions are far less expensive.<br /><br />Looking back over the history of spaceflight, I see a complimentary relationship between human and robitic space science programs. Robotic probes were the first missions into Earth orbit, measuring the levels of radiation that exist in the Van Allen belts. These probes blazed a trail for human missions such as Friendship 7, Mercury and Gemini. These successes, as well as a national vision, led to the implementation of a program of lunar exploration that led to Apollo 11's landing humans on the Moon. A part of the implementation of President Kennedy's vision included robotic science programs that blazed a trail for human explorers. These included Ranger, Lunar Orbiter, Surveyor. Each science mission gained data, which helped to form a basis for the next mission, that eventually cleared a way for human landings in 1969-1972. As an extention of NASA's out-reaching vision that was an extention of Kennedy's lunar vision, many scientific unmanned spacecraft were sent to the planets. Mariner 4, 6, and 9 to Mars, Mariner 10 to Venus and Mercury, Pioneer 10 and 11 to Jupiter and Saturn, Viking to Mars, and Voyager to the Outer Planets. All of these unmanned science missions were an outgrowth of the heyday of space exploration, initiated by President Kennedy. Each of these programs were initiated before the major cuts initiated by President Nixion began to take effect.<br /><br />I do not beleive that it is a coincedence that while at the same time NASA's human spaceflight program was transitioning to the shuttle, and doing nothing but orbiting the Earth with no real desitination or purpose, NASA's unmanned science program did not launch a single probe. After the launch of the Voyager spacecraft in 1977, no other science missi

M

mental_avenger

I agree, we need both. However, I disagree with the current strategy in robotic explorers. The extremely limited little toys NASA has sent to Mars are an example of extreme short sightedness. We need robotic explorers on Mars that can get the job done, and get it done right the first time. Before we send people to Mars, we need to know exactly what is there. That way, when we do send people, we can send them confidently, and with the capability of staying on Mars and building a colony.<br /><br />Enter Big AL. Big AL is my vision of an SUV sized exploration rover. It would be capable of taking core samples down to at least 30 feet, be able to analyze the contents of the cores in detail, and be able to set seismic transducers and record seismic waves. Big AL would also be able to traverse open ground at about 40mph, using AI and multiple sensors to move safely and autonomously across the surface of Mars. <br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p style="margin-top:0in;margin-left:0in;margin-right:0in" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Times New Roman" size="2" color="#ff0000"><strong>Our Solar System must be passing through a Non Sequitur area of space.</strong></font></p> </div>

N

nacnud

I suppose that you will also be prepared to save the mars exploration buget for the last 20 years, and the next 20, in order to pay for this one mission.<br />

M

mental_avenger

One Big AL rover mission would cost far less than a manned mission that must return because there is not enough information to keep men on Mars once they get there. It would also cost about the same as 3-4 “Mattel style” rover missions that will never be able to produce sufficient accurate data to do any real good when designing manned missions. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p style="margin-top:0in;margin-left:0in;margin-right:0in" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Times New Roman" size="2" color="#ff0000"><strong>Our Solar System must be passing through a Non Sequitur area of space.</strong></font></p> </div>

N

nacnud

But there hasn't been a manned mars mission yet.<br /><br />The reason the previous missions are so limited is that they have a very small budget. That is the point of robotic missions.<br /><br />What you're asking for is a Ferrari SUV.<br />

H

holmec

I remember ther being some plan or some intention to plan for a large rover that would explore. I saw a painting of it in National Geographic magazine at the end of the 70s.<br /><br />The intention is there for better rovers I'm sure. Unfortunately we are still learning in how to get a large vehicle there without "breaking the bank", so to speak. And the technology of making a rover smart enough is not there yet, but we are getting closer every day.<br /><br />I would like to see a rover that can travel from planet to planet but I know that is just wishful thinking at this point.<br /><br />Once we find cheaper ways to get into space and then to Mars, I'm sure we will see bigger and better rovers. Its all about money and technology <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#0000ff"><em>"SCE to AUX" - John Aaron, curiosity pays off</em></font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts