Human eye vs. space telescope

Status
Not open for further replies.
X

xskellumx

<p>I am seeing a star how it used to be through my telescope that is roughly 50 light years away.</p><p>If the same star is viewed through Hubble does Hubble see it at the same age or older?</p><p>Light speed is light speed but do better optics make up distance to the star? </p><p>&nbsp;</p>

D

dragon04

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I am seeing a star how it used to be through my telescope that is roughly 50 light years away.If the same star is viewed through Hubble does Hubble see it at the same age or older?Light speed is light speed but do better optics make up distance to the star? &nbsp; <br /> Posted by xskellumx</DIV></p><p>Better optics might <em>resolve </em>the star or celetial object/structure better, but the observer is still seeing that better picture as it was 50 years ago just like his unaided eye does. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <em>"2012.. Year of the Dragon!! Get on the Dragon Wagon!".</em> </div>

W

weeman

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I am seeing a star how it used to be through my telescope that is roughly 50 light years away.If the same star is viewed through Hubble does Hubble see it at the same age or older?Light speed is light speed but do better optics make up distance to the star? &nbsp; <br />Posted by xskellumx</DIV></p><p>Hubble sees things the same age as your naked eye. </p><p><br />The light travels the same distance whether you are seeing it with your eyes or you are viewing it through a telescope. Though Hubble can see very far away, the light still has to reach Hubble for it to pick up the image at all. A telescope simply maginfies an object, it does not bring the object closer. </p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000">Techies: We do it in the dark. </font></strong></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>"Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.</strong><strong>" -Albert Einstein </strong></font></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Hubble sees things the same age as your naked eye. The light travels the same distance whether you are seeing it with your eyes or you are viewing it through a telescope. Though Hubble can see very far away, the light still has to reach Hubble for it to pick up the image at all. A telescope simply maginfies an object, it does not bring the object closer. &nbsp; <br />Posted by weeman</DIV><br /><br />Well, the other real point&nbsp; (haha) of a telescope is not just to magnify, but to gather more light. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.