I Hate SDC!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jim48

It's bad enough this place freezes up for no reason every night but I just wrote a brand new Area 51 story and it got lost and I'm pissed!!! Now I have to do it again from memory!!! In the early evening. What happens here late at night that gums things up? Hello mods!!! Damn!!!kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk Ah! It can be done! I can write a story using Windows 2007 then copy and paste it here! A successful experiment but I'm still pissed because I lost a funny Area 51 story that I have to try to re-capture because SDC has too many technical glitches. Damn!!!

J

jim48

R1":1lioegy5 said:
It's nothing to worry about, and it has already been addressed in the more appropriate user forum upstairs.

Here is the link :

http://www.space.com/common/forums/viewtopic.php?p=386315#p386315

Thanks, R. You must bear with we fussy artists, especially those of us who wish we had more time. Sometimes the first draft is the best draft, which in this case it was. Other times some re-writes are required. I nailed it the first time and it got sucked away!!! I shall continue to pout and sulk in private and then sit down and start all over again and hopefully Y'all will find my scribblings amusing.

Z

ZenGalacticore

Over here at the center of the galaxy, SDC starts going sluggishly wacky on my board between 12 midnight and one a.m. That's when I go watch an hour of 'Fraizer' and come back. (Did I spell 'Fraser' right?)

S

StarRider1701

I guess I'm not the only one who notices that the threads seem to nearly alway get slow and freeze up, usually between midnight and about 1245. I sometimes just leave SDC for a while then come back. I've lost several posts, or it has caused a few double posts. Sorry you lost your story Jimbo, if you'll recall I had to redo one as well. Yes, that is a big pain in the patootie :evil:

J

jim48

StarRider1701":htvq47u4 said:
I guess I'm not the only one who notices that the threads seem to nearly alway get slow and freeze up, usually between midnight and about 1245. I sometimes just leave SDC for a while then come back. I've lost several posts, or it has caused a few double posts. Sorry you lost your story Jimbo, if you'll recall I had to redo one as well. Yes, that is a big pain in the patootie :evil:

Yes, I do recall you telling me that but when given a lemon make lemonade. I miss what I wrote but hopefully I'll do better with the re-write. It was a really, really cool thing and it broke my heart to lose it but I'll start over and hopefully entertain everyone. What gives out here every night with the slow-downs? I should know better after all of these months to try complicated stuff late at night. Who's ready for a drink? ;)

D

docm

Think how I feel....

Went to register with the Detroit Free Press so I could post comments on their stories and what do I see?

PLUCK!!!!!

wall.gif
wall.gif

S

Smersh

StarRider1701":360vqgc6 said:

Hmmm ... IIRC, back in the distant past (during the magnificent, glitch-riddled days of the Infopoopicene Era, and before the much less magnificent but even more glitch-riddled days of the Pluckozoic) didn't there used to be a "15 minute outage" or something that always occured just after the top of every hour? I believe reams and reams of words were written about it, (mostly in the Whinging To The PTB Forum) at the time, if memory serves me right.

I'm sure village elders here, such as Vogon13 and Yevaud, will be able to confirm what I just said (although the former seems to have vacated the building lately unfortunately.) Perhaps other elders such as a_lost_packet_ or MeteorWayne will remember.

Anyway what I'm trying to say is - maybe the dreaded 15 MINUTE OUTAGE has RETURNED !!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

S

silylene

It's a Pluckian conspiracy to regain control of this board.

E

EarthlingX

This is my 5th post all together with proposed solution, but no movement yet.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=19710

As for the lost Jim's story, i hope they live in a country with a capital punishment.

D

doublehelix

silylene":pk2k11tx said:

We are no longer connected to Pluck, I just want to make that very clear.

-dh

J

jimglenn

JIMBO: calm down, take a relaxant, if you need a 'script let me know. :cool: Suggest a nice time release capsule.

Here is a trick I sometimes use. Every once in awhile you are typing your post, do a highlight/copy, to get it
in the scratchpad, just like when you copy/paste, but don't paste anywhere. If you lose it, can recover by pasting.

Works unless the PC crashes. Just a paranoid trick - I resent computers - in doing lots O cad work, I learned to
save the file every 2 or 3 operations. Pays off sometimes.

C

CalliArcale

EarthlingX":1vmy2naf said:
This is a FireFox plugin that saves your posts:
Lazarus: Form Recovery 2.0.4

My preferred editor:
UltraEdit
I did not say 'torrent', right ? :?

Oh, that is AWESOME!!!! I'm gonna check that out for my home PC. (I'm not allowed to install my own plugins on my work machine.)

Torrents, by the way, are perfectly legal means of distributing data. It's providing copyrighted material to which you lack an appropriate distribution license that'll get you in trouble. ;-)

B

brandbll

doublehelix":18limxau said:
silylene":18limxau said:

We are no longer connected to Pluck, I just want to make that very clear.

-dh

That what the Pluck wants you to think...

G

greddytalon

Sorry about the story Jim, hopefully it comes back to you! :)

CalliArcale":tel088ot said:
Oh, that is AWESOME!!!! I'm gonna check that out for my home PC. (I'm not allowed to install my own plugins on my work machine.)
What's funny to me is that a lot of us here come to SDC from work. So we actually get paid to shoot the sh*t with each other! :lol:

S

Smersh

greddytalon":uba5s104 said:
Sorry about the story Jim, hopefully it comes back to you! :)

CalliArcale":uba5s104 said:
What's funny to me is that a lot of us here come to SDC from work. So we actually get paid to shoot the sh*t with each other! :lol:

Actually I'd imagine that your employers pay you to do whatever job you are supposed to be doing GT, not swan around in this place when you should be doing your job. :twisted: ;)

I find it quite surprising that quite a few people, both here at SDC and on other boards I go on, say they post from work (unless they are self-employed of course.) Don't your employers track your surfing? (They certainly did when I was at British Airways before I retired.) I thought that these days, most companies spy on their employees' internet activities at work, to ensure they are doing what they are supposed to be doing.

Y

yevaud

Smersh":iw933j7j said:
I'm sure village elders here, such as Vogon13 and Yevaud, will be able to confirm what I just said (although the former seems to have vacated the building lately unfortunately.) Perhaps other elders such as a_lost_packet_ or MeteorWayne will remember.

Yep, the "top of the hour" glitch.

Smersh":iw933j7j said:
Anyway what I'm trying to say is - maybe the dreaded 15 MINUTE OUTAGE has RETURNED !!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Naw, once solved, message board glitches never reoccur. New, convoluted glitches appear.

We know this as "progress." ;)

R

R1

This is a bottom of the hour thing and it seems to be once a day only.

In about an hour from now, as I may have mentioned in the user forum (link available earlier in this
thread), simply chill and quit posting. Do not log out, post, or attempt to do much at all with SDC for 30 little minutes, then resume
SDC activity shortly after 1 a.m. eastern time. There is no need to be hateful or to write any lies about hating SDC.

There are so many sponsors within the galaxy that I would not be surprised if it has at least partly something to do with it... to allow SDC a short
30 minutes a day to sort out and update its clockwork machinations.

D

doublehelix

MannyPim":33b1lizx said:
Has anybody noticed that the post counts are frozen ???

I just checked this and it should not be the case. The option that determines that was checked as yes. Has anyone else observed this?

-dh

M

MeteorWayne

Mine is updating as it should...should end in 85 with this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts