I was just wondering how legit this was..

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

derekmcd

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>http://www.livescience.com/blogs/2008/05/06/send-your-name-to-the-moon-or-on-a-planet-hunt/The whole submit your name for NASA to put on the lunar probe.. is it real?&nbsp; I'd imagine it would cost way too much for this right?&nbsp; It gives you a number and all but I just dont want to look like a idiot if they didnt really do it. &nbsp; <br /> Posted by RonMaverick</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>I've read this elsewhere.&nbsp; Given the source and those affiliated with the project, it sounds legitimate to me.&nbsp; I'm sure the cost is minimal.&nbsp; Sounds like they just type your name into a text file and put it on a dvd with everyone elses name.&nbsp; The certificate is probably just an automated pdf file sent to your email.&nbsp; No real cost to this.&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

D

DrRocket

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>http://www.livescience.com/blogs/2008/05/06/send-your-name-to-the-moon-or-on-a-planet-hunt/The whole submit your name for NASA to put on the lunar probe.. is it real?&nbsp; I'd imagine it would cost way too much for this right?&nbsp; It gives you a number and all but I just dont want to look like a idiot if they didnt really do it. &nbsp; <br />Posted by RonMaverick</DIV></p><p>I think this is legit.&nbsp; I would guess that the objective is simply PR.&nbsp; They may enlist some popular support if people feel that they are a part of the lunar mission by having their name on this list.&nbsp; I doubt it will cost NASA much in either dollars or weight.&nbsp; NASA has a tremendous PR machine.&nbsp; <br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

Smersh

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>http://www.livescience.com/blogs/2008/05/06/send-your-name-to-the-moon-or-on-a-planet-hunt/The whole submit your name for NASA to put on the lunar probe.. is it real?&nbsp; I'd imagine it would cost way too much for this right?&nbsp; It gives you a number and all but I just dont want to look like a idiot if they didnt really do it. &nbsp; <br /> Posted by RonMaverick</DIV></p><p>I believe NASA have done this kind of thing before. In fact, as I understand it, several SDC members already have their names on various space probes. Cassini may be one, off the top of my head. &nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <h1 style="margin:0pt;font-size:12px">----------------------------------------------------- </h1><p><font color="#800000"><em>Lady Nancy Astor: "Winston, if you were my husband, I'd poison your tea."<br />Churchill: "Nancy, if you were my wife, I'd drink it."</em></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Website / forums </strong></font></p> </div>

R

RonMaverick

I was just looking for more hard proof that they have actually put your name on them but mannn i wanted my name on Cassini <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

D

DrRocket

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>...mannn i wanted my name on Cassini <br />Posted by RonMaverick</DIV></p><p>When my daughter can find it (I gave it to her ) I will make a scan of the NASA embroidered patch from the Cassini launch and post it.&nbsp; They you can have&nbsp;a genuine facsimile of a momento of that launch.&nbsp; You should have seen&nbsp;that launch.&nbsp; It went off in the dark, about 4 a.m as I recall, with the plume from the solids making a firery trail in the sky, and the roar sending a chill up your spine.<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

D

derekmcd

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>When my daughter can find it (I gave it to her ) I will make a scan of the NASA embroidered patch from the Cassini launch and post it.&nbsp; They you can have&nbsp;a genuine facsimile of a momento of that launch.&nbsp; You should have seen&nbsp;that launch.&nbsp; It went off in the dark, about 4 a.m as I recall, with the plume from the solids making a firery trail in the sky, and the roar sending a chill up your spine. <br /> Posted by DrRocket</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>I saw a Shuttle launch back in 89 when I was in boot camp.&nbsp; It wasn't exactly close up being in Orlando, but still very cool.&nbsp; One of my most vivid memories.&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

O

origin

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;I saw a Shuttle launch back in 89 when I was in boot camp.&nbsp; It wasn't exactly close up being in Orlando, but still very cool.&nbsp; One of my most vivid memories.&nbsp; <br />Posted by derekmcd</DIV><br /><br />I was on a submarine docked at the cape (for missle trials) and saw the night launch of a delta rocket from a very close proximity (don't reacall the actual distance).&nbsp; It was very very cool.&nbsp; </p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

D

DrRocket

R

RonMaverick

THAT IS AMAZING!!!! I wish I could get a personalize patch like that!!! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts