IBEX Update?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RachaelWhitney

I know it was only launched last October, but is there any updates so far? Like, where its located currently within the solar system? Have they gathered any into yet? Im really interested in this mission, its intriguing!

On a side note, how about the Voyagers? If they passed through the termination shock, have they gathered anything? I havent been able to find any info on either, other than the passing.......Maybe I am just not looking in the right places!

Thanks! :D

F

Fomalhautian

There was an update on the NASA website about 3 weeks ago. Here's a snap-shot showing the location:

0907grl-tn.png

As far as data, they've found that the moon emits 150 tons of neutral hydrogen atoms per year.

CLICK HERE FOR JULY 2009 NASA UPDATE

C

clint_dreamer

The link provided has some fairly new Voyager info. It's awesome to see they are still giving back scientific data

R

RachaelWhitney

thats all the further IBEX has gotten? I would think it would be further away from that...yet again, its hard to comprehend how big our solar system actually is, when it doesnt seem to be going anywhere when its actually traveling relatively fast.

F

Fomalhautian

Yeah, I don't think it's going too far out there....... about 5/6 of the way to the moon is all. It's designed to collect data while it orbits Earth, so it's not getting turned loose for the time being. Kinda cool if you think about how far out the data it's collecting is relative to the IBEX itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts