Icons to left of thread titles

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MeteorWayne

What do the Icons to the left of the thrads stand for. Some are fixed, some are animated, some are red, some have stars, etc. I looked through the FAQs and did not see anything that explained the different types.

M

Mee_n_Mac

I've deduced that a star means you've posted something in that thread. A small icon embedded means there's a subforum under that forum. I don't know why some are animated/scrolling and others aren't. I'll guess if the icon is red then the thread is considered "hot" (aka very active). I'm curious if there's something that indicates new posts in that forum. I've yet to find explanations as well.

EDIT : OK I see that red indicates unread posts so I'll reguess that animation means a "hot" topic.

D

doublehelix

Mee_n_Mac":eiz9hleh said:
I've yet to find explanations as well.

Me, too. I have been looking for documentation but have not been successful. I will continue to look, though!

-dh

A

abq_farside

Mee_n_Mac":1ozpleze said:
I've deduced that a star means you've posted something in that thread. A small icon embedded means there's a subforum under that forum. I don't know why some are animated/scrolling and others aren't. I'll guess if the icon is red then the thread is considered "hot" (aka very active). I'm curious if there's something that indicates new posts in that forum. I've yet to find explanations as well.

EDIT : OK I see that red indicates unread posts so I'll reguess that animation means a "hot" topic.

Maybe the scrolling red indicates somebody is posting a reply?

R

R1

a blue asterisk does probably mean it's a thread where you have a post yourself.

an icon that is scrolling (in motion) could probably mean that someone is reading the thread right now.

M

Mee_n_Mac

R1":5z5baszp said:

a blue asterisk does probably mean it's a thread where you have a post yourself.

I concur, the asterisk denotes a thread in which you've made a post.

R1":5z5baszp said:
an icon that is scrolling (in motion) could probably mean that someone is reading the thread right now.

I like it ! It seems to make sense too. When I get a chance I'll watch the views counter(s) for some scrolling and non-scrolling posts and see what happens.

I note that I see blue icons for threads or forums which contain unread posts (though sometimes threads have red icons along with unread posts. Why red vs blue ????). Threads or forums that are black or gray in color have no unread posts. I also note the new presence of the "show all unread posts" (across all forums) button. Nice !!

S

Smersh

I'm not sure about the others, but I think the red scrolling icons indicate "hot topics," (as Mee_n_Mac said) say the threads that have received a certain number of posts (20, 25 or whatever the number of posts it is to trigger the red scrolling icon.) Some other boards have this feature as well and the icons for it vary - it's often shown as an animated flame for example, although I've not noticed the red scrolling one before.

M

Mee_n_Mac

So as to bump this thread and to bring up a bug let me summarize what I think we've deduced :

Blue icons mean the forum or thread has unread posts.
Red icons mean the thread had unread posts and is very active (red hot).
Gray icons mean the forum or thread has no unread posts (or you aren't logged in).
An asterisk * means you've posted in that thread.
A subcircle icon means there's subfourms in that forum.
Scrolling "text" inside the icon is open for some debate but presently seems to mean someone is reading, or has recently read, a post in that thread.

The bug is that the Community Announcements icon is always blue for me, even when all threads/post have been read. It's the only forum icon that acts this way (also the only forum to have a subforum ...).

B

bobw

The only thing I would add to Mee_n_Mac's list is about the scrolling.

I think scrolling denotes a "hot" topic, 24 or more replies. Scrolling gray is no unread posts. Scrolling red is unread posts.

N

nimbus

Mee_n_Mac":qnkviokw said:
The bug is that the Community Announcements icon is always blue for me, even when all threads/post have been read. It's the only forum icon that acts this way (also the only forum to have a subforum ...).
None of the forum icons work for me. They're permanently blue.

A

abq_farside

Hope this helps - taken from here

phpbbicons.jpg

The one listed as Hot topic is really the scrolling red icon.

M

MeteorWayne

That doesn't seem to match what we have here. Blue is unread, grey is read. Still, good info to work with. The star thing makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts