If light can’t escape a black hole why does gravity escape it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BoJangles

<p style="margin:0cm0cm10pt" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Calibri" size="3">If light can&rsquo;t escape a black hole why does gravity escape it?</font></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#808080">-------------- </font></p><p align="center"><font size="1" color="#808080"><em>Let me start out with the standard disclaimer ... I am an idiot, I know almost nothing, I haven’t taken calculus, I don’t work for NASA, and I am one-quarter Bulgarian sheep dog.  With that out of the way, I have several stupid questions... </em></font></p><p align="center"><font size="1" color="#808080"><em>*** A few months blogging can save a few hours in research ***</em></font></p> </div>

D

derekmcd

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>If light can&rsquo;t escape a black hole why does gravity escape it? <br /> Posted by Manwh0re</DIV></p><p>Just as an aside, it would be nice if we could try to keep all black hole questions to one thread.&nbsp; Having three threads on black holes on the front page means two other threads just got bumped off.&nbsp; Not to mention there are probably 30-40 (guessing) threads on black holes between the various fora.&nbsp; No doubt the answers to your questions could be found there.</p><p>Don't get me wrong.&nbsp; I'm not blaming you for not searching.&nbsp; The search funtion is useless and digging around in all the various black hole threads would take days.&nbsp; I'm just venting is all... not necessarily directed at you.</p><p>Maybe we could get a black hole sticky thread.</p><p>Anyway, on to your question:</p><p>It really depends on your definition of gravity.&nbsp; General Relativity describes gravity as curvature that is measured through tensors.&nbsp; There is no force that requires anything to propogate.&nbsp; I'm not really sure how Quantum mechanics deals with gravity, but the progation of a graviton would be through some tunneling effect.&nbsp; Of course, the graviton may or may not exist.&nbsp; I don't believe there are even any experiments to detect a graviton as yet or way to even indirectly observe them.</p><p>It's late and I'm tired, so none of this probably makes any sense.&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

B

BoJangles

<p>Point taken... </p><p>They should have been really all in the same post, as i was writing them i didn't really think of that</p><p>If i comment on all the other threads in the appropriate order they will go away :)<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#808080">-------------- </font></p><p align="center"><font size="1" color="#808080"><em>Let me start out with the standard disclaimer ... I am an idiot, I know almost nothing, I haven’t taken calculus, I don’t work for NASA, and I am one-quarter Bulgarian sheep dog.  With that out of the way, I have several stupid questions... </em></font></p><p align="center"><font size="1" color="#808080"><em>*** A few months blogging can save a few hours in research ***</em></font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts