IIS attitude balance after STS-115/116 port segments

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

ltm_se

In the past i think progress was used to reboost the station to higher orbit. Since progress docks on the center of mass of IIS how will the station be reboosted after the installation of the P3-P6 segments?<br /><br />Would the gyros and russion thrusters be able to keep the stations attitude if a reboost would be needed before the starbord segments gets installed?

E

erioladastra

Correct. The thursters will still have plenty of control. The bigger issue is that post 12A.1 we will only able to fly in whats called +XVV attitude which the Russians don't like to dock in.

W

willpittenger

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>+XVV attitude<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br />Could you explain that? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

E

erioladastra

Thanks krrr - pretty slick. After I posted I started looking for a good picture because I knew folks would ask. But that is actually one of the best I have seen.<br /><br />Post 12A.1 when the permanent thermal system is activated, the XPH and YVV attitudes are no longer required, or certified. We will likelt flip around (-XVV) for some brief periods of time for better Ku coverage or other objectives, however, that is a not a good attitude since all the debris shielding is positioned for the other direction. Ok, perhaps more then you guys wanted to know...

Status
Not open for further replies.