I'm looking to buy a telescope but need some help??

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

steve_thomas

I'm looking to buy a telescope but i'm not sure what to look for. Can you please tell me what to look for? I want something good but not to exspensive? Thanks for your help. :D

S

SpeedFreek

Hi there Steve, welcome to the SDC (space dot com) forums! :)

I'm not an expert on telescopes but there are a lot of folks around here that know their stuff. One thing I have seen posted here a lot is that different types of telescope are better suited for viewing different types of celestial objects.

So, what are you particularly interesting in viewing? Do you want the telescope to be portable or will it be set up in a permanent position? Is there a lot of light pollution where you live? Also, on a limited budget, sometimes a good quality set of binoculars can get better results than a cheap telescope and will be more rewarding.

If you could post what your budget is, and what you are more interested in (planets? nebulae? galaxies? photography? etc) then some of our telescope experts will be better able to make a recommendation. :)

M

MeteorWayne

The first and obvious bit of advice is to read the topic pinned at the top "Looking to buy your first telescope, Read This!"

A number of folks went to a lot of effort just to answer the very question you have, and there's a ton of great advice in there. Before you go any further, I'd suggest you spend the time reading it all the way through before spending your money. Unless you'd rather spend your money before you know what you should be looking for :)

Welcome to Space.com!

Wayne

R

RichardG

Steve,
Be very thankful you found this site and forum BEFORE you bought a telescope. I have been reading this forum for almost a week now and have found it a significant source of great information. I have one regret about my new hobby and that is that I didn't find this site first.

I read the thread at the top of this forum after I bought my telescope. I found that I probably bought the best one for the money I had budgeted, but if I had read the articles first, I might have delayed my purchase till I could afford something more appropriate for my viewing desires.

Since I am very new at this hobby, I find some terms and acronyms a bit difficult to understand, but the more I read the better my understanding. I have one minor issue with that thread on before you buy... and that is that it is very long and seemed convoluted for a newcomer. If it were possible, and one of the brilliant members here had plenty of time, a synopsis of the wealth of information to be found in that thread, posted here would be fantastic.

In my week here and my three weeks with a telescope, I can safely say I am really enjoying astronomy and look forward to the next clear night as well as the next post on this site.

Good Luck
RichG

M

MeteorWayne

If you have trouble with the acronyms, etc, feel free to ask in that thread what they mean.

I know the thread is long, but I'd be leery of condesing it too much, because crucial details would be left out.

My advice is always, visit a local astronomy club if you can so you can see what the pros, cons, and cost of the different types are :)

C

crazyeddie

steve_thomas":1gyh1v0k said:
I'm looking to buy a telescope but i'm not sure what to look for. Can you please tell me what to look for? I want something good but not to exspensive? Thanks for your help. :D

These questions may be covered in the pinned thread, but they bear repeating:

1. How much are you willing to spend? Remember, telescopes are not toys.....good ones can't be had for less than $200, in my opinion.

2. What kinds of objects do you plan on viewing?

3. Are you OK with making periodic adjustments to tune up your telescope, or do you want something "idiot-proof" that you can grab on a moment's notice and be using within minutes?

4. Do you have space to store a bulky telescope, or do you need something compact?

5. Do you want to use this telescope for anything besides astronomy?

Answers to these questions help us whittle down the choices!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts