In the beginning...

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

derekmcd

<p>Although the Eagle Nebula is referred to as "The Pillars of Creation", it is a fairly new formation in a cosmological sense.&nbsp; I suppose, given the fact that it is creating new stars, 'in the beginning' is quite relavant.</p><p>How cool would it be, say a billion years from now, meet a civilization from that region and show them pictures of the birth of their neighborhood.</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

M

Mee_n_Mac

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'><em>Although the Eagle Nebula is referred to as "The Pillars of Creation", it is a fairly new formation in a cosmological sense.&nbsp; I suppose, given the fact that it is creating new stars, 'in the beginning' is quite relavant.How cool would it be, say a billion years from now, meet a civilization from that region and show them pictures of the birth of their neighborhood.&nbsp; <br /></em>Posted by <strong>derekmcd</strong></DIV></p><p><br />It would be uber-kewl were I to be there in person to show them !</p><p>From the <font size="4">Hubble site</font> re: the picture;</p><p><em>"</em><em>Eerie, dramatic pictures from the Hubble telescope show newborn stars emerging from "eggs" &mdash; not the barnyard variety &mdash; but rather, dense, compact pockets of interstellar gas called evaporating gaseous globules (EGGs). Hubble found the "EGGs," appropriately enough, in the Eagle nebula, a nearby star-forming region 7,000 light-years from Earth in the constellation Serpens.</em></p><p><em>These striking pictures resolve the EGGs at the tip of finger-like features protruding from monstrous columns of cold gas and dust in the Eagle Nebula (also called M16). The columns &mdash; dubbed "elephant trunks" &mdash; protrude from the wall of a vast cloud of molecular hydrogen, like stalagmites rising above the floor of a cavern. Inside the gaseous towers, which are light-years long, the interstellar gas is dense enough to collapse under its own weight, forming young stars that continue to grow as they accumulate more and more mass from their surroundings."</em></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>-----------------------------------------------------</p><p><font color="#ff0000">Ask not what your Forum Software can do do on you,</font></p><p><font color="#ff0000">Ask it to, please for the love of all that's Holy, <strong>STOP</strong> !</font></p> </div>

A

adrenalynn

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>The Eagle is one of my favorite DSO's.&nbsp; I can't match the stunning Hubble image, but was pleased with how this image came out.&nbsp; http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/PaulRix/Astronomy/m16-dsi-PRO-II2.jpg <br />Posted by RixPJ</DIV><br /><br />Awesome photo!</p><p>A little image processing would pop that right out and certainly make it a winner.&nbsp; Have you tried any of the astro tools plugins for Photoshop?&nbsp; With your permission, I could clean it up a ton for you, if you like.</p><p>How about some specifics?&nbsp; Scope, exposure, iso, etc.?</p><p>I'm guessing from the directory it was shot with a DSI-II?</p><p>TIA!&nbsp; Nice shot!</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>.</p><p><font size="3">bipartisan</font>  (<span style="color:blue" class="pointer"><span class="pron"><font face="Lucida Sans Unicode" size="2">bī-pär'tĭ-zən, -sən</font></span></span>) [Adj.]  Maintaining the ability to blame republications when your stimulus plan proves to be a devastating failure.</p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000"><font color="#ff0000">IMPE</font><font color="#c0c0c0">ACH</font> <font color="#0000ff"><font color="#c0c0c0">O</font>BAMA</font>!</font></strong></p> </div>

R

RixPJ

<p>Feel free to play with the image if you think you can pull out more detail.&nbsp; I usually try not to over do the stretching but it can be hard to juge what is too much sometimes.</p><p>The image was taken with a Meade 10in LX200 'Classic' SCT, F3.3 Focal Reducer and a Meade DSI II Pro camera.&nbsp; If I remember rightly Luminance 30x2min, RGB 20x2min each.</p><p>I'll post a few more once I figure out how I can get a direct linked image to show up on this forum (my images are stored on Photobucket).</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Paul&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

T

Testing

<p>Welcome, Fine work. The image size limit is 700kb. Perhaps we can bribe the control center to grant a bit of leeway regarding size in the future. Working with a bit of apeture there!</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

R

RixPJ

<p>Thanks for the Welcome :) .&nbsp;&nbsp; The 10in SCT is a nice siz to work with.&nbsp; I have it permanently set up in a roll off roof observatory which really helps a lot (no setup or breakdown time every time I want to image).&nbsp; It has been a frustating winter here in Ohio as it seems there is almost always at least a thin layer of cloud in the way.&nbsp; Of course, when the Moon is full the clouds are never present.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts