In which direction from Earth is the center of the universe?

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

derekmcd

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>To get to the true center of the balloon (and the center of its expansion when the balloon is being inflated), you need to leave the surface and move in 3 dimensions, ie. not just follow the 2-dimensional surface of the balloon.<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br /><br />Using the balloon analogy, leaving the surface is traveling in time. The center of the balloon is T=0. As the balloon expands, the surface is moving away from the center forward in time. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

P

primordial

logicize ! Yes inall dimensions except time, and you'r a little late to be there.<br />

D

dragon04

<font color="yellow">If we could hypothetically jump out of our 4-dimensional universe, we might find that there are many more dimensions existing higher than our level of perception.</font><br /><br />And I think we get a peek at an aspect of that 4th physical Dimension in this way:<br /><br />Take a BH. One that has no accretion disk. It's floating in intergalactic space just for fun.<br /><br />With no matter to feed on, it would be, well, a black hole. More importantly, it would be a black <b>hole</b> of identical diameter from <b>every</b> possible perspective.<br /><br />While we move around it plotting points on a sphere, we never see anything but a black circle. No matter what direction we go or on what axis we travel, we see that same black circle.<br /><br />Yet we KNOW we're moving "around" it like we were mapping a planet.<br /><br />We also know that the singularity is INSIDE the event horizon. How far? Dunno, dont care. We just further know that it's not a black circle we're looking at now.<br /><br />We're looking at a hole. A hole that bulges in and not out like a sphere.<br /><br />So, I dub this BH an Antisphere. The Earth is spherical and we can see and represent it in 3 physical dimensions in its entirety. Not so for our antisphere.<br /><br />It's an "inside out" sphere of you take my meaning. Best we can do for representing it in 3 dimensions is one point at a time. <br /><br />So to me, that directly implies a 4th physical dimension. In fact, to me, it's direct evidence of one.<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <em>"2012.. Year of the Dragon!! Get on the Dragon Wagon!".</em> </div>

B

bdewoody

Not so. The Milky Way Galaxy (ours) will be colliding with the Andromeda Galaxy in a few hundred million years so they are not receding from each other. At least that's what I've been told. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <em><font size="2">Bob DeWoody</font></em> </div>

W

weeman

Yes, you are correct. The Milky Way and Andromeda will one day collide, becoming an even larger galaxy! Although I think it's more like 2-3 billion years in the future. <br /><br />Expansion only takes place once you look beyond our own local group. The galaxies within groups are held together by a common center of gravity. In other words, gravity is able to overcome the expansion of space, so expansion only takes place where there is a strong absence of gravity.<br /><br />When we view Andromeda's spectrum, we see that it has a definite blueshift, meaning it is drifting towards us. When we look at distant galaxies (beyond our local group) we see all of them moving away from us. The redshift seen in all of these galaxies is due to cosmological redshift, not doppler shift. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000">Techies: We do it in the dark. </font></strong></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>"Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.</strong><strong>" -Albert Einstein </strong></font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.