Indian rocket suffers catastrophic failure during launch, Earth-watching satellite lost

I'm at a bit of consternation here. India has experienced and is still experiencing covid-19 morbidity and mortality in ever increasing amounts. Likewise, there have been reported severe oxygen shortages in some regions. Yet, India can allocate the resources to participate in launching orbiting Earth satellites during such a pandemic outbreak? Some actions of governments never fail to be beyond what would normally be considered common sense.

Wolfshadw

I think it's important to remember that planning, scheduling, and funding for current space missions were probably agreed upon and meted out several years before the pandemic started. I'm sure that administrations are doing what they can to both keep their people safe AND stay on schedule (so as to not incur further costs).

-Wolf sends

Reactions: sam85geo and Helio
I'm at a bit of consternation here. India has experienced and is still experiencing covid-19 morbidity and mortality in ever increasing amounts. Likewise, there have been reported severe oxygen shortages in some regions. Yet, India can allocate the resources to participate in launching orbiting Earth satellites during such a pandemic outbreak? Some actions of governments never fail to be beyond what would normally be considered common sense.
Their Covid misery, fortunately, has dropped from about 4200 deaths per day (late May) to about 500 deaths per day (Johns Hopkins) using a 7-day average.

Last edited:
I think it's important to remember that planning, scheduling, and funding for current space missions were probably agreed upon and meted out several years before the pandemic started. I'm sure that administrations are doing what they can to both keep their people safe AND stay on schedule (so as to not incur further costs).

-Wolf sends
I concede your point. My sympathy to India for the covid-19 spike and the loss of their rocket and satellite.

Reactions: Helio and Wolfshadw

Latest posts