Infamous asteroid Apophis poses no threat to Earth for at least 100 years, NASA says

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
I am genuinely pleased to see that the Nov 6th 2020 report of the David Tholen (University of Hawaii at Manoa astronomer) announcement of October 26th announcement has been corrected. He stated:

Showing the orbit for the 1,120-foot-wide (340 m) Apophis, he indicated that astronomers thought they had enough observations of the asteroid — collected over the years after its discovery in 2004 — to more or less rule out an impact in 2068. Those calculations, however, were based on an orbit not affected by the sun's energy. Ultimately, this means we can't yet rule out Apophis being a threat in 2068, Tholen said.
"The 2068 impact scenario is still in play," Tholen said. "We need to track this asteroid very carefully."

This might appear to be rather woolly language for a scientist (my emphasis).
My emphasis.

Cat :)

Last edited:
Reactions: sam85geo
While the necessary considerations of climate change and global warming are "earmarking" increasing amounts of funding and resources, we should NOT ignore, postpone, underestimate and /or underprepare for the dangers of Earth crossing asteroids due to the marked investment costs. By extending the world's current nuclear weapons paranoid/irrational paradigm of having to have enough such weapons to totally destroy humanity, perhaps the world should have a some similar capability for asteroids that are potentially far more dangerous/disastrous than our fellow humans? Consider that the "Cold Realization" of an "Oh! Crap" moment in a future asteroid event may render our current concerns of climate change and global warming moot.

Reactions: Catastrophe

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
As far as I can see, you have the following posibilities:

A. Object is so large, you get off Earth if you can: e.g., Mars or Ceres Very unlikely.

B. Object is of such a size that avaodance measures are plausuble e.g., gravity attraction, Yarkovsky Effect

C. Object large enough to seriously damage urban area, but smaller than B. Conssider splitting.

D. Object will only give meteor or small meteorite. No action. Fortunately the majrity of Earth is covered with water or non-habitable areas e.g., desert. Smallish impacts may hit there - no problem. Larger asterpoids, even hitting sea or desert could cause a "nuclear winter" or other such worldwide problem.

The case I have the most problem with is B. It is easily forgotten that such asteroids can be coming at Earth at dizzying speeds:
ASTEROID 2020 ND EXPECTED TO PASS EARTH AT DIZZYING SPEED OF 48,000 KMPH AT 8.43 PM (my emphasis). Remember we have to spot such an asteroid, which may be approaching at 48,000 kph. We get there and stop. We paint it to take advantage of the Yarkovsky effect and wait ten years for it to have enough effect. Or we fly a rocket to nuke it, and again it has passed Earth before we reach it.

The good news is that the dificulties of asteroids coming "out of the Sun" can be overcome by having space telescopes sufficiently distnced from Earth.

I would be very happy if anyone can calm my fears over object type B above.

Cat :)

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Seems this could become an actual beneficial use of the USSF (I am not a fan as we created a redundant organization that is not absolutely necessary). Develop and deploy technology to deal with such threats.

Reactions: Catastrophe