International Moon Base

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

therocketjohn

The International Space Station seems like a big success. I realize it is costly, but lots of countries are contributing resources to making it successful, and because lots of countries have invested, no one country wants to kill the project. For this reason, it seems like an International Moon Base could be a logical next step. I wonder if an International Moon Base partnership has been explored and if so by who? Are some countries pushing for this and are some countries against this? Is a moon ownership fight getting in the way? Any insight is appreciated.

B

bearack

therocketjohn":18off6jx said:
The International Space Station seems like a big success. I realize it is costly, but lots of countries are contributing resources to making it successful, and because lots of countries have invested, no one country wants to kill the project. For this reason, it seems like an International Moon Base could be a logical next step. I wonder if an International Moon Base partnership has been explored and if so by who? Are some countries pushing for this and are some countries against this? Is a moon ownership fight getting in the way? Any insight is appreciated.

It is in the works, at least between Russia and NASA. Russia has already dedicated itself to having a permanent moon base by 2025 but NASA has recently put some reservations on the joint venture, if I recall correctly.

K

kelvinzero

I actually really like the idea of bases from two or three nations with no critical dependencies on each other but close enough to share resources. Perhaps at one of the poles.

This way you could have some national pride driving each side to keep up with the others but also have triple redundancies of everything from life support to return vehicles.

Many opportunities to pool resources would emerge later but initially this seems safer, politics and scheduling-wise.

The great thing about the moon (compared to LEO) is that what you put there wont fall down or have to be deliberately orbited to prevent it being a menace, and things stay where you put them.

Also I hope they find some use for all those landing stages they leave behind. In LEO, ideas such as using the external tank never amount to anything but I think reuse would be much more practical with landing stages because there is no cost to keep them there, in fact you cant get rid of them.

Perhaps if we go with a sortie approach they could include a small oxygen producer powered by the solar cells that are also left behind with the landing stage. Someone could walk around the moon in just a spacesuit, topping up at each site along the way and loading some more regolith into the hopper before they go.

Of course to walk around the moon is an unlikely mission but the thought that you could is appealing.

T

The_Chef

kelvinzero":2g22r7xj said:
Perhaps if we go with a sortie approach they could include a small oxygen producer powered by the solar cells that are also left behind with the landing stage. Someone could walk around the moon in just a spacesuit, topping up at each site along the way and loading some more regolith into the hopper before they go.

We might want to include a potty along with the oxy refill device. :lol:

K

kelvinzero

Of course. What are gas stations for?

A gas station is pretty close to what this would be. The visitor would in fact be some sort of vehicle. Much more reasonable. Perhaps the station could also store power that could be transferred.

D

Danzi

I don't see why some people are saying each nation has a base of its own, because, no one owns the moon, no one nation, so i think it should be a place where everyone shares, and where nation rivalries are left behind, So all nations stride together to build a moon city, rather than their own base that only they can use.

that's the best option in my opinion, a moon base for all to use, no rivalry between nations, as no one nation owns it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts