Iranian rocket launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

EarthlingX

Guest
Iran launches research rocket with mouse, turtle and worms into space; unveils 3 satellites
Feb 3, 3:43 PM EST

Iran launches research rocket with mouse, turtle and worms into space; unveils 3 satellites

By ALI AKBAR DAREINI
Associated Press Writer

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) -- Iran announced Wednesday it launched a menagerie of animals - including a mouse, two turtles and worms - into space on a research rocket, a feat President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said showed Iran could defeat the West in the battle of technology.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZoNdf6hlII[/youtube]
 
M

MeteorWayne

Guest
Well, since it was a suborbital flight, excuse me for not being impressed
 
E

EarthlingX

Guest
First thing that came to mind, when i saw it, was that New Zealand rocket, though that was non-government, i think.
Point is, that this launch is making them a spacefaring nation, or so i hear in wonder ...

An older article, maybe some more info:
Iran Plans to Launch a Space Satellite
http://www.spacetoday.org/Satellites/Ir ... anSat.html
We refer to a spacefaring nation as a country with a rocket powerful enough for space launches. Spacefaring nations are those which launch their own satellites to orbit. They also launch satellites for others who do not possess the capability
 
M

MarkStanaway

Guest
The rocket looks like an upgraded SA 3 Guideline anti-aircraft missile from the Soviet era
The engine ceremonously unveiled looks suspiciously like one of Glushko's 4 chambered RD 107 engines without the expansion bell.
 
E

EarthlingX

Guest
Space Daily:
Iran launches rat and turtles into space
by Staff Writers
Tehran (AFP) Feb 3, 2010
Iran hailed on Wednesday the successful launch of a home-built satellite carrying a rat, turtles and worms, amid Western concerns Tehran is using its nuclear and space industries to develop atomic and ballistic weapons.
West is not so impressed, to put it lightly:

The United States branded the rocket launch a "provocative act" as some observers raised fears the craft could be used to develop ballistic missiles, as well as to launch satellites.

White House deputy spokesman Bill Burton said that the Obama administration, which is locked in a nuclear showdown with Tehran, was still checking out reports of the launch.
France said it had received news of the launch with "great concern."

"This announcement can only reinforce the concerns of the international community as Iran in parallel develops a nuclear programme that has no identifiable civil aims," a spokesman said in Paris.
Not that Iran worries about that much:
Ahmadinejad said Iran was "going to send a satellite 500 kilometres up. The next steps are 700 and 1,000 kilometres. Everyone knows that reaching the 1,000 kilometre orbit allows you to reach all orbits."

Vahidi revealed details of three new satellite prototypes -- the Toloo (Dawn), Navid (Good News), and Mesbah-2 (Lantern) -- as well as of Simorgh.

And of course:
Tehran denies having military goals for its space programme or its nuclear drive.
:?
 
B

bushwhacker

Guest
I'm of the firm opinion that any launch by the Iranians is a good excuse to test that Airborne Laser mounted on a 747. :lol:
 
V

Valcan

Guest
EarthlingX":1ca1jwlf said:
Space Daily:
Iran launches rat and turtles into space
by Staff Writers
Tehran (AFP) Feb 3, 2010
Iran hailed on Wednesday the successful launch of a home-built satellite carrying a rat, turtles and worms, amid Western concerns Tehran is using its nuclear and space industries to develop atomic and ballistic weapons.
West is not so impressed, to put it lightly:

The United States branded the rocket launch a "provocative act" as some observers raised fears the craft could be used to develop ballistic missiles, as well as to launch satellites.

White House deputy spokesman Bill Burton said that the Obama administration, which is locked in a nuclear showdown with Tehran, was still checking out reports of the launch.
France said it had received news of the launch with "great concern."

"This announcement can only reinforce the concerns of the international community as Iran in parallel develops a nuclear programme that has no identifiable civil aims," a spokesman said in Paris.
Not that Iran worries about that much:
Ahmadinejad said Iran was "going to send a satellite 500 kilometres up. The next steps are 700 and 1,000 kilometres. Everyone knows that reaching the 1,000 kilometre orbit allows you to reach all orbits."

Vahidi revealed details of three new satellite prototypes -- the Toloo (Dawn), Navid (Good News), and Mesbah-2 (Lantern) -- as well as of Simorgh.

And of course:
Tehran denies having military goals for its space programme or its nuclear drive.
:?

No military goals right like there nuclear program which needs weapons grade materials.....right. Well looks like well need more lanchers for anti missile sats :mrgreen:

Btw please someone tell me i wasnt the only one who saw the video of the mouse they fired into orbit.
 
E

EarthlingX

Guest
Valcan":e2agm69g said:
No military goals right like there nuclear program which needs weapons grade materials.....right. Well looks like well need more lanchers for anti missile sats :mrgreen:

Btw please someone tell me i wasnt the only one who saw the video of the mouse they fired into orbit.
video":e2agm69g said:
... Cargo included some worms, two turtles and a mouse. ...
That's what's been said, but if that white thing in the middle is a mouse, darn, it's a big mouse.

It is also in the official, rather short, statement:
Iran Announced Successful Launch of Spacecraft Carrying Animals into Space
Iranian officials on Wednesday Feb. 3, announced the successful launch of a domestically manufactured satellite-carrier vehicle with a mouse, two turtles, and worms onboard.
It might have been just a bit of show for the new satellites:
Iran Unveiled New Generation of Satellites
In an official ceremony on Wednesday, 3 Feb. 2010, Iran unveiled three satellites, an SLV and its engine as part of the country's ambitions to run an independent space program.
The ceremony took place on the first anniversary of the successful launch of Iran’s first homebuilt satellite, Omid (meaning “Hope” in the Persian language) atop a domestically manufactured Satellite Launch Vehicle, called Safir-2. It also coincided with a week of celebration of the 31st anniversary of the victory of the Islamic Revolution in the country. The event also marks the National Day of Space Technology which, from this year forward, will be celebrated annually in Iran.
It is not their first, obviously, i missed that .. :oops: I'm not so familiar with the advances in Iranian space technology ... :roll:
 
D

dryson

Guest
Although Iran is holding three Americans hostage, we as space exploration fans must be somewhat excited at the fact that another country is paving it's wave into the night sky. Who knows in few years Iran may be interested in purchasing their own modules from NASA to link up to the I.S.S. which is a good thing as it would bring another country to a possible peaceful resolute with us (America) as well as providing Iranians with a sense of hope in being part of something as big as the I.S.S.
 
E

EarthlingX

Guest
dryson":272u7puy said:
Although Iran is holding three Americans hostage, we as space exploration fans must be somewhat excited at the fact that another country is paving it's wave into the night sky. Who knows in few years Iran may be interested in purchasing their own modules from NASA to link up to the I.S.S. which is a good thing as it would bring another country to a possible peaceful resolute with us (America) as well as providing Iranians with a sense of hope in being part of something as big as the I.S.S.
I must agree. I just don't like extremists, of any side.
Maybe space is the place where we can meet and talk, and not shout at each other.
 
D

dragon04

Guest
Sometimes, life imitates art.

At the point in the video where the new Iranian booster engine was unveiled, the reporter was describing how the gathered audience broke out into religious chants.

It immediately reminded me of the scene from Beneath the Planet of the Apes where the mutant human survivors were praying to their bomb.
 
S

SpaceTas

Guest
Thanks EarthingX for the link. Various news stories had this launch into orbit, rather than suborbital.
To put this in context; the USA launched a mouse into space aboard a V2 in 1950, the Soviets launched a dog into orbit 1957 (no recovery). 1960 saw the first recovery of dogs from orbit (Soviets). So Iran has a lot of catching up to do.
see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animals_in_space for more.

Recall that all the early launches of the USA and Soviets were on missiles. With the US and Soviet space programs, mostly the missiles came first, used by peaceful program. There was some feedback the other way especially early on. The manned program in the USA contributed to making the missiles more reliable. Developing a peaceful space launcher is equivalent to developing a missile and visa-versa.

From a military and science point of view a major milestone is returning a capsule to Earth. This means the development of a heat shield and reasonable navigation. The heat shield is necessary to protect the payload (rat or bomb), and you need to be able to at least come close to your target. A good idea if you want to recover your rat etc. Maybe being able to hit the intended (guess who) continent is all you need if you aim to terrorize people.

Heat shield are not that hard to make; if you only need one use == cork.

Beyond that: militarily its a matter of payload mass to low earth orbit. Enough payload capacity to carry your bomb.

A manned program is much more difficult; life support, tracking, recovery, training .....
 
H

High_Evolutionary

Guest
dryson":1sggai5c said:
Although Iran is holding three Americans hostage, we as space exploration fans must be somewhat excited at the fact that another country is paving it's wave into the night sky. Who knows in few years Iran may be interested in purchasing their own modules from NASA to link up to the I.S.S.ich is a good thing as it would bring another country to a possible peaceful resolute with us (America) as well as providing Iranians with a sense of hope in being part of something as big as the I.S.S.
:shock Please tell me your kidding? The Iranian government controlled factions do not like the west. It is a shame with some of their most brillant scientists and doctors here and around the world that they would have to put up with a our way or the highway extremist threatening there right to protest amongst other rights humans everywhere should have. No, keep the romulans on earth, that is all. Btw, I anyone have a link pertaining to funds spent on there space program either annually or just for this particular launch? ty.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY