Is dark matter affected by gravity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Manafest_Destiny

Is dark matter affected by gravity? I am currently doing some personal research on the relationship between black holes and dark matter, but as you might guess, most information I come by is primarily speculation. Any feedback on this subject from the sientific community would by very much appreciated.

O

origin

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp; Is dark matter affected by gravity? I am currently doing some personal research on the relationship between black holes and dark matter, but as you might guess,&nbsp;most information I come by is&nbsp;primarily speculation. Any feedback on this subject from the&nbsp;sientific community would by very much appreciated. <br />Posted by Manafest_Destiny</DIV><br /><br />Yes, but nobody knows what dark matter is.&nbsp; Essentially dark matter is a material that has mass and cannot be directly observed.&nbsp; The presence of dark matter is postulated by the motion of the galaxies and galaxy clusters.&nbsp; The galaxies and clusters behave as if there is much more matter present than can be observed - hence the term dark (unseen) matter.</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

T

tanstaafl76

<p>As a non-physicist, I was talking to my physicist brother-in-law and he made it easier for me to understand this whole dark matter/dark energy thing by thinking about these concepts as placeholders for unexplained things as opposed to a tangible material. &nbsp;We just don't know enough about these things yet to make a lot of conclusions.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp; Is dark matter affected by gravity? I am currently doing some personal research on the relationship between black holes and dark matter, but as you might guess,&nbsp;most information I come by is&nbsp;primarily speculation. Any feedback on this subject from the&nbsp;sientific community would by very much appreciated. <br />Posted by Manafest_Destiny</DIV><br /><br />Yes, in fact the primary effect of Dark Matter IS that is is affected by, and has mass so affects gravity. SO far it has managed to avoid detection by any other means than the gravitation. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

M

Manafest_Destiny

&nbsp; Thank you for your feed back. I have been working on a theory regarding this subject and will post it soon. Of course I do not have a degree and I am not claiming anything spectacular, but I really thing you all will find it an interesting read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts