Is Everything Electromagnetic?

• Thread starter emperor_of_localgroup
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

emperor_of_localgroup

I'm not the first one to raise this question. I read in a book Lorentz was the first to argue in favor of electromagnetic nature all matters and particles. Yes, the same Lorentz who did n't get any credit for his transformation equations used by Einstein in his Special Relativity. But Lorentz was too wrapped up with the then controversial 'existence of ether', and didn't explain much about this electromagnetic idea. <br /><br /><br />In my unproven guess, particles, electrons, protons, neutrons, etc. may be formed by a complicated interference or phenomena (still unknown to us) of many electromagnetic waves (photons). The reasons for my guess are : <br /><br /><br />1) Electromagnetic waves have eletric and magnetic fields as if some charge is associated with them. A complicated interactions of many waves may result an electric field with only one direction, just as a negative or a positive charge do. <br /><br /><br />2) Appearance of 'c' in the equation E=mc<sup>2</sup>. What do speed of electromagnetic waves have to do with rest mass and rest energy of matters unless matter is electromagnetic? <br.><br /><br />Even if everything is electromagnetic, it'll take 1000 years to verify the notion. Some physics faculty or grad student may want to look into this topic. I'd appreciate, if anyone wants to direct me to any website on this subject.</br.> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="2" color="#ff0000"><strong>Earth is Boring</strong></font> </div>

S

Saiph

well...Lorentz <i>does</i> get credit for the equations, they are afterall called Lorentz Transformations, even when you're studying special relativity.<br /><br />Basically Lorentz toyed with the idea, came up with some of the math, but Einstein put it into a cohesive picture.<br /><br /><br />As for everything being electromagnetic....don't buy it. There are particles with mass, but no electrical properties. There are various masses with various charges, there are other fundamental forces beyond EM... <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

Y

yevaud

EU by any other name would stink. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

E

emperor_of_localgroup

@Saiph:<br />You misinterpreted my comments. I'm not saying all forces are electromagnetic. There is a possibility that all matters, particles, by some still unknown phenomena, formed from many electromagnetic waves - losing certain properties of EM waves but gaining new properties of particles, such as nuclear force, etc.<br /><br />1) Masses of particles may come from energies of many EM waves.<br />2) Charged particles may be caused by certain interference of electric fields of EM waves. This way fractional charges can be explained.<br />2) Neutral particles may be formed when electric fields cancel each other out. Don't forget Neutrons and Protons can transform into one another. One interpretation can be they release cancelled electric fields.<br /><br />As I said, it'd take 100s of years for any experimental works.<br /><br />This suggestions, which may be a possibility, have nothing to do with 'electric universe'. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="2" color="#ff0000"><strong>Earth is Boring</strong></font> </div>

S

Saiph

part of the problem is: The other fundamental forces show no interaction, at all, with EM. As such, having a particle be a composition of EM interference patterns means the fundamental forces shouldn't be able to interact with it. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

E

emperor_of_localgroup

OK, Yes, you do have a valid point. EM doesn't interact with other forces. I am aware of this. Now we have to argue about 'what is a force? where does it come from'? We wont get anywhere with this question at the present time. Well, Lorentz got me thinking, and he did some serious works on EM. I'd not be surprise if some day they claim strings in string theory are really EM waves. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="2" color="#ff0000"><strong>Earth is Boring</strong></font> </div>

S

Saiph

EU can fit in here just fine, so long as people address the material in a rational way, and discuss the scientific merits. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

E

emperor_of_localgroup

I should have said, 'origin of matters is electromagnetic', instead of all matters are electromagnetic. Look, if origin of all matters are electromagnetic, all pieces fall in right places. <br /><br />1) We can explain charged and neutral particles and particles with fractional charges. <br /><br />2) E=mc<sup>2</sup> would make more sense. <br /><br />3) Can find a reason why nothing can travel faster than c. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="2" color="#ff0000"><strong>Earth is Boring</strong></font> </div>

A

acsindg

If you look at the blog "Electric Magnoflux Universe" you will get an idea of how it might work<br /><br />CliveS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts