Is it possible to see a galaxy with the naked eye?

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NemesisTS

Hi all great site you have here.

I was just curious if its possible to see a galaxy with a naked eye? Lets say you were in a space ship and traveled outside the galaxy would you ever be able to see the same kind of images with the naked eye that hubble captures of galaxies and nebulas etc. My thinking is no... They are too massive and you would have to be so far away to make out their shape that the naked eye would not be effective.

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

M

MeteorWayne

If you are in an area without a lot of light pollution at least 2 galaxies (and depending on how dark your skies are, maybe more) are visible to the unaided eye. You don't even have to leave the surface of the earth (which makes it a lot easier!!) :)

N

neilsox

Our own galaxy is seen as the milky way on dark nights in some locations and seasons. Yes, being too close does give a distorted view. Andromeda is visable when it is above the horizon and it is dark enough. In the Southern hemisphere both the large and the small Maginalic clouds are naked eye visable if it is dark enough, and they are above the horizon. Neil

S

Shpaget

I'll always remember the first time I saw the Milky way. It was in July couple of years ago. I was at my friend's birthday party in a semi-rural area, pretty far from any light pollution. It was probably the most magnificent view of the night sky ever (for me).

O

origin

I live in the country in upstate NY and can I can see the andromeda galaxy on most dark nights. It does not look like much and if I didn't know where to look I would not probably miss it. The galaxy is a very slight smudge that is best seen with peripheral vision. Just a pair of 10 X 50 binoculars makes it very obvious though.

The interesting thing to me is how big it looks considering how far away it is. Galaxies are BIG.

A

andrew_t1000

I live in South Australia, any clear night I get to see 2 galaxy's, with the naked eye.
The lesser and greater Megallenic Clouds.
They always look so nice, on really cold still nights, you can make out quite a bit of detail.
When you look at them with binoculars its even better.

index.cfm

index.cfm

E

eburacum45

origin":2prkhlm7 said:
I live in the country in upstate NY and can I can see the Andromeda galaxy on most dark nights. It does not look like much and if I didn't know where to look I would not probably miss it. The galaxy is a very slight smudge that is best seen with peripheral vision. Just a pair of 10 X 50 binoculars makes it very obvious though.

The interesting thing to me is how big it looks considering how far away it is. Galaxies are BIG.

Actually the bit you can see with the naked eye is just the central hub. If you could see the much dimmer arms as well it would look at least three times as wide. Yes- as you say, galaxies are big.

S

SpaceTas

Galaxies see-able by naked eye in dark skies (rough order of difficulty)

Milky Way
Large Magellanic Cloud
Small Magellanic Cloud
Andromeda
Wirlpool M33 (haven't tried this one, its meant to be very difficult, but just doable)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts