Is the Alpha Cantaurii system interesting for a visit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

frasercain

Is the triple starsystem Alpha Centauri A ,Alpha Centauri B and Proxima Centauri the destination of the (first) mission to the stars? I have doubts about a planetsystem there because a triple starsystem is not good for a stable situation ,so the orbits of (possible) planets there will be disturbed. What is the best thing ,launch a unmanned spacecraft that will go to Alpha Centauri A B and Proxima Centauri and discover the possibility of planets there ,and all the needed explorations. Or a (manned) mission after the unmanned spacecraft has explored all the possible interesting things like planets (earthlike) or so. If we can reach 20 percent of the speed of light ,we can get there in about 30 years or so (within) a lifetime. But what kind of spaceship do we need to get astronauts there? How will it be to spend 30 years in a Spaceship? It will be a total change of your life because you cannot say i will go back to Earth when you are halfway. Lets start talking and discuss about this (firstcoming) possible star mission.<br />

Q

qso1

FraserCain:<br />Is the triple starsystem Alpha Centauri A ,Alpha Centauri B and Proxima Centauri the destination of the (first) mission to the stars?<br /><br />Me:<br />There is no official missions planned to any star systems at this time but logically, due of course to proximity. The Proxima Centauri system would be the first, however...Alpha Centauri may be more interesting and may harbor an Earthlike world. It's doubtful that a single probe would be sent to all three stars because Proxima is so much further from the other two.<br /><br />FraserCain:<br />I have doubts about a planetsystem there because a triple starsystem...<br /><br />Me:<br />Patrick Moore stated in an astronomy book that I have that he considered planetary systems around binary stars pretty much impossible. We have since learned that planetary systems can orbit binary stars. The orbits would probably be more elliptical and an Earthlike world would be subject to wilder climate swings but personally, I wouldn't rule out planets, even Earthlike planets around Alpha Centauri.<br /><br />As for the rest of your comment...I'm actually writing and illustrating a book about the first mission to Alpha Centauri. Basically, its too early to know what kind of craft is going to get us there or how fast it will go. I'd prefer a craft that can reach 80 percent SOL and thats what I portray in the book.<br /><br />Even at this speed, if one was to find a star system, lets say Delta Pavonis at around 19 Ly distance. The crew of that ship will probably never return to Earth as long as there is a suitable Earthlike world to colonize at Delta P.<br /><br />You'll probably soon be getting feedback from people who understand the light speed relativity thing a little better than I do. I try to incorporate as much science as I can grasp in my book. But its at least 150 years into the future and what we talk of today (Antimatter, Bussard ramjets, Orion) will probably not even be considered practical 150 years from now.<br /><br />For <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

N

nexium

I agree with qso1 except, we may leave for the Centauriii system in a ship that only averages 1% of light speed. Some problems increase much faster than the speed increases, such as micro meteors which inflicted damage as the square of the speed difference.<br />Slow however means the 20th generation of humans aboard may have lost sight of the mission and have radically different personalities than their astronaught ancestors, even if they continue to communicate on message boards such as www.space.com for the entire journey. Neil

Q

qso1

Basically we don't really know how fast we will be able to get there. My preference was for a craft that can do 80% SOL. And this is just my preference rather than what I actually think will be the case.<br /><br />I would also like to think the 21st century micrometeoroid problem will be handled by 23rd century technological advances we have yet to foresee. At 1% C...we probably won't even have the political will to mount such a mission to begin with, much less worry about the crew generational problem. This assuming the project is handled the way they are now...by Government and public support.<br /><br />But on the crew generational problem you mentioned, this would be an interesting problem and one that could certainly arise. I would think it could be gotten around once the descending generations realize they will get nowhere if they loose sight of the mission and any interstellar craft will probably have limits to how long crews can be sustained. When one talks of building generational ships that travel at low percentages of C. The advantage to Hi "C" (Pun intended) becomes clearer yet.<br /><br />Some of these problems I have already thought through but cannot reveal yet because of the book they will be featured in. I cannot reveal in some cases because I have to be sure they are able to be presented as workable solutions and I don't want to give away any secrets just yet. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts