ISS Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JimL

<p>I'm new here.&nbsp; I've been looking all over the internet for a place to ask a very simple question.&nbsp; (I'm a little surprised there isn"t a category here just for the ISS.)</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>I found&nbsp; a couple questions here about station noise, but not much in the answers.&nbsp; What I'd like to know is: on a practical basis, what does the station actually sound like?"</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>There are statements that it is too noisy.&nbsp; Google found that NASA had done a noise survey, altho I haven't found anything written about the results of that survey.&nbsp; Some place I saw some decibel figures but I neither knew what they really meant nor remember them now.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>I asked about this on a forum where they claim to have amateur radio contact with the station and suggested that someone could ask Peggy Whitsen about it, but there was never a single reply.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>What I'd like to know is what earthly analogy might be used to describe station noise?&nbsp; Taking a flight on a big jet?&nbsp; Riding an elevator?&nbsp; Listening to a StarTrek Voyager sound track?&nbsp; Listening to a train go by while waiting in a car with the windoes closed?&nbsp; With the windows open? </p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Anybody have a clue?</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Thanks&nbsp;</p>

Q

qso1

<p>Firstoff, welcome to SDC and I haven't seen much in the way of information as to ISS noise levels. I suspect you would have quiet areas and noisy areas depending on proximity to such things as pumps, electric motors etc. I assume the noise level has to be kept down to keep from disturbing the flight crews too much, especially during sleep periods.</p><p>Noise is a psoblem on ISS, you can only provide so much acoustical protection when faced with keeping shuttle or other LV payload mass down for the purpose of component transport to orbit.</p><p>It probably won't help much, but I think the noise level on ISS is comparable to being in an elevator in the quieter areas, and being in a jetliner cabin in the noisier areas.</p><p>Your right, the only sure way to know is to ask an astronaut whos been aboard ISS.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

K

KosmicHero

<p>&nbsp;</p><p>I remember reading a while back that the ambient noise on the station is like sticking your head out the window going 60 mph.&nbsp; (I'll have to search and see if I can find where.)</p><p>&nbsp;The main issue with ISS (as with any spacecraft) is there is nothing to really ground yourself to to damp vibration.&nbsp; So what happens is the vibrations from pumps, docking, astronauts talking, etc. just gets added to vibrating station.&nbsp; There are very few ideas about this problem, but I'm sure the astronauts would love it if you came up with one for them.<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> kosmichero.wordpress.com </div>

Z

Zipi

<p>I have red that Zvezda is the noisiest module. A quote from Wikipedia:</p><p>"<em>Zvezda</em> has been criticized for being excessively noisy and the crew has been observed wearing earplugs inside it."</p><p>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zvezda_%28ISS%29</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

E

earth_bound_misfit

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;&nbsp; There are very few ideas about this problem, but I'm sure the astronauts would love it if you came up with one for them. <br /> Posted by KosmicHero</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Noise cancelation headphones?&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p><p>----------------------------------------------------------------- </p><p>Wanna see this site looking like the old SDC uplink?</p><p>Go here to see how: <strong>SDC Eye saver </strong>  </p> </div>

T

ThereIWas2

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;Noise cancelation headphones?&nbsp; <br /> Posted by earth_bound_misfit</DIV></p><p>A short-haul turboprop airliner, the DHC-8 ("Dash 8") Q-series actually has active noise cancelling hardware built into the fuselage, to reduce the interior noise created by the propeller blade tips whizzing by just a foot outside.&nbsp;&nbsp; They call this "Active Noise and Vibration Suppression".</p><p>The DHC-8-Q400 is now built by Bombardier Aerospace.&nbsp; Their description can be found here.&nbsp;&nbsp; I don't know how helpful this would be on ISS, where most of the noise is internally generated. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><span class="postbody"><span style="font-style:italic"><br /></span></span></p> </div>

J

JimL

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>being in a jetliner cabin in the noisier areas.<br /> Posted by qso1</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>I'd tend to question this.&nbsp; I do know crew members have been required to wear earplugs in some situations.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Thanks&nbsp;</p>

J

JimL

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;I remember reading a while back that the ambient noise on the station is like sticking your head out the window going 60 mph.&nbsp; (I'll have to search and see if I can find where.)&nbsp;The main issue with ISS (as with any spacecraft) is there is nothing to really ground yourself to to damp vibration.&nbsp; So what happens is the vibrations from pumps, docking, astronauts talking, etc. just gets added to vibrating station.&nbsp; There are very few ideas about this problem, but I'm sure the astronauts would love it if you came up with one for them. <br /> Posted by KosmicHero</DIV></p><p>I don't suppose this is really a helpful idea, but one would think that some vibrations would cancel others.&nbsp; SURELY they've already given thought to using anti-noise emitters.</p><p>I've read that they have been taking normal measures like mounting vibrating devices on acoustic isolator pads, etc.&nbsp; (No doubt that cannot apply to nodes and modules making up the pressurized body.)</p><p>I don't know why, but I really feel a desire to know a comparative earthly sound.</p><p>I wonder if it would be possible to contact Peripatetic Peggy on Earth.</p><p>Thanks </p>

J

JimL

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I don't know how helpful this would be on ISS, where most of the noise is internally generated. <br /> Posted by ThereIWas2</DIV></p><p>If I'm not mistaken, anti-noise was originally developed for earphones/speakers, etc., to generate opposite phase equivalents in the air.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Thanks&nbsp;</p>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts