It's a BAD idea to de-orbit the ISS

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hk8900

It will be a long time until the de-orbit the ISS, but the ISS is<br />not suitable for disposing by de-orbit.<br />The ISS is much larger than the Mir when it is completed, it<br />will not burn completely in the re-entry<br />Large pieces may survive the re-entry and hit populated area<br />(although may be rural area)<br />Anyway to solve this problem?<br /><br />Also, I have some idea about nuclear reactor disposal in space<br />Can we just dispose the nuclear reactor by colliding it with the SUN?

N

nyarlathotep

<font color="yellow">Can we just dispose the nuclear reactor by colliding it with the SUN?</font><br /><br />Only if you've got a spare 29800m/s dV handy.<br /><br /><font color="yellow">Large pieces may survive the re-entry and hit populated area<br />(although may be rural area)<br />Anyway to solve this problem?</font><br /><br />Aim for a sheep paddock in WA. We don't mind the damage, selling the scrap on ebay should more than cover the repairs. I've actually got a piece of skylab on my coffee table, some ISS would go well to complement it.

H

henryhallam

It shouldn't be too difficult to execute a controlled deorbit to bring it down in the middle of an ocean somewhere, as was done with Mir.

Status
Not open for further replies.