It's incomprehensible.

May 31, 2023
Visit site
According to inflation theory, during the inflationary epoch about 10^-32 of a second after the Big Bang, the universe suddenly expanded, and its volume increased by a factor of at least 10^78. In my small mind I liken this to switching on a set of Christmas tree lights in the dark. It's there. It's just there.

[Edit] I since think my visualisation of the Christmas tree lights is misleading, since over this short period there was no light or formed matter. I was trying to visualise the amount of space expanded over 10^-32 of a second. The instantiation of this vast space over that short time. Maybe just visualise a balloon that appears. A typical blink of the eye takes 100ms

Last edited:
Reactions: rod and Atlan0001
I don't believe the when, how or why this cosmos came to be, can be answered. Or found. And we can't be sure that this cosmos is the way it appears, because we can only see how it use to be. We can't see the now of the cosmos. Not even our own galaxy. OUR center could have exploded 23 thousand years ago, and we would not know it for another thousand years. There could be a bow shock of radiation at any time. Never see it coming.

Last night I watched Europa occultation at Jupiter, observing 1745-1900 EST using my 10-inch Newtonian telescope at 133x with a green filter to enhance views of the many cloud bands visible on Jupiter. Europa slowly moved closer and closer to Jupiter's limb and disappeared behind Jupiter about 1856 EST or 2356 UT (my cell phone time), accurately predicted in the tables of the November Sky & Telescope magazine on page 51.

Is inflation theory as reliable as what I observed last night in our solar system?

Consider the starting size of the Universe when inflation takes place. In 1997, Alan Guth said this about the Universe size when inflation takes place.

https://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/Guth/Guth3.html, "3. THE INFLATIONARY UNIVERSE...Once a patch of the early Universe is in the false vacuum state, the repulsive gravitational effect drives the patch into an inflationary period of exponential expansion. To produce a universe with the special features of the Big Bang discussed above, the expansion factor must be at least about 10^25. There is no upper limit to the amount of expansion. Eventually the false vacuum decays, and the energy that had been locked in it is released. This energy produces a hot, uniform, soup of particles, which is exactly the assumed starting point of the traditional Big Bang theory. At this point the inflationary theory joins onto the older theory, maintaining all the successes for which the Big Bang theory is believed. In the inflationary theory the Universe begins incredibly small, perhaps as small as 10^-24 cm, a hundred billion times smaller than a proton. The expansion takes place while the false vacuum maintains a nearly constant energy density, which means that the total energy increases by the cube of the linear expansion factor, or at least a factor of 10^75. Although this sounds like a blatant violation of energy conservation, it is in fact consistent with physics as we know it...", WAS COSMIC INFLATION THE 'BANG' OF THE BIG BANG?, https://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/Guth/Guth_contents.html

In 2013, Alan Guth indicates inflation takes place in a Universe, smaller it seems. Inflation size universe could be 10^-53 m at the start of inflation period and the universe size maps 10^-53 m to 1 m size today. This is 18 order of magnitudes smaller than the Planck length. In the 1997 Alan Guth report, the Universe size starts at about 10^-24 cm. Now in 2013 we have 10^-51 cm size for the inflation beginning to explain the Universe we see today.

How was the universe created?,
created.59247/

Edit, good URL here :) https://forums.space.com/threads/how-was-the-universe-created.59247/

Inflation requires that the inflaton exist in nature, perhaps as the creator of everything :) Last night I could see Europa disappear behind Jupiter as predicted (and viewed numerous times since Galileo days). Currently I have not seen the inflaton in nature using my telescopes. :)

Reactions: RobbyQbit
May 31, 2023
Visit site
Last night I watched Europa occultation at Jupiter, observing 1745-1900 EST using my 10-inch Newtonian telescope at 133x with a green filter to enhance views of the many cloud bands visible on Jupiter. Europa slowly moved closer and closer to Jupiter's limb and disappeared behind Jupiter about 1856 EST or 2356 UT (my cell phone time), accurately predicted in the tables of the November Sky & Telescope magazine on page 51.

Is inflation theory as reliable as what I observed last night in our solar system?

Consider the starting size of the Universe when inflation takes place. In 1997, Alan Guth said this about the Universe size when inflation takes place.

https://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/Guth/Guth3.html, "3. THE INFLATIONARY UNIVERSE...Once a patch of the early Universe is in the false vacuum state, the repulsive gravitational effect drives the patch into an inflationary period of exponential expansion. To produce a universe with the special features of the Big Bang discussed above, the expansion factor must be at least about 10^25. There is no upper limit to the amount of expansion. Eventually the false vacuum decays, and the energy that had been locked in it is released. This energy produces a hot, uniform, soup of particles, which is exactly the assumed starting point of the traditional Big Bang theory. At this point the inflationary theory joins onto the older theory, maintaining all the successes for which the Big Bang theory is believed. In the inflationary theory the Universe begins incredibly small, perhaps as small as 10^-24 cm, a hundred billion times smaller than a proton. The expansion takes place while the false vacuum maintains a nearly constant energy density, which means that the total energy increases by the cube of the linear expansion factor, or at least a factor of 10^75. Although this sounds like a blatant violation of energy conservation, it is in fact consistent with physics as we know it...", WAS COSMIC INFLATION THE 'BANG' OF THE BIG BANG?, https://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/Guth/Guth_contents.html

In 2013, Alan Guth indicates inflation takes place in a Universe, smaller it seems. Inflation size universe could be 10^-53 m at the start of inflation period and the universe size maps 10^-53 m to 1 m size today. This is 18 order of magnitudes smaller than the Planck length. In the 1997 Alan Guth report, the Universe size starts at about 10^-24 cm. Now in 2013 we have 10^-51 cm size for the inflation beginning to explain the Universe we see today.

How was the universe created?,
created.59247/

Edit, good URL here :) https://forums.space.com/threads/how-was-the-universe-created.59247/

Inflation requires that the inflaton exist in nature, perhaps as the creator of everything :) Last night I could see Europa disappear behind Jupiter as predicted (and viewed numerous times since Galileo days). Currently I have not seen the inflaton in nature using my telescopes. :)
I hear what you're saying Rod. I forget sometimes that this is theory. Some good links to read.
I must get myself a telescope some day or should I say a time machine, as what you observed was 45 minutes in the past 😀

Reactions: Atlan0001 and rod
I hear what you're saying Rod. I forget sometimes that this is theory. Some good links to read.
I must get myself a telescope some day or should I say a time machine, as what you observed was 45 minutes in the past 😀
RobbyQbit, some good points in this discussion. I know some folks who work with lab equipment that can image bacterium at the 1 x 10^-6 meter scale or 1 x 10^-4 cm size showing if the biofilms contain living or dead areas (biomed research work). Someone else can image graphene and graphite atoms showing the geometric pattern visible at 1 x 10^-9 meter scale or 1 x 10^-7 cm size. I recently enjoyed seeing these views displayed on their laptops :) Inflation is way smaller still for the beginning size of our Universe :)

Edit. 1E-6 m and 1E-9 m sizes (MS Excel notation) I observed on those laptops with interesting science from the natural world visible. Inflation is still much smaller to see for the starting size of our Universe :)

Last edited:
May 31, 2023
Visit site
RobbyQbit, some good points in this discussion. I know some folks who work with lab equipment that can image bacterium at the 1 x 10^-6 meter scale or 1 x 10^-4 cm size showing if the biofilms contain living or dead areas (biomed research work). Someone else can image graphene and graphite atoms showing the geometric pattern visible at 1 x 10^-9 meter scale or 1 x 10^-7 cm size. I recently enjoyed seeing these views displayed on their laptops :) Inflation is way smaller still for the beginning size of our Universe :)

Edit. 1E-6 m and 1E-9 m sizes (MS Excel notation) I observed on those laptops with interesting science from the natural world visible. Inflation is still much smaller to see for the starting size of our Universe :)
From your other post "Inflation starts in a universe 10^-53 m size, 18 order of magnitudes smaller than the Planck length."
This is what I mean when I say "Incomprehensible".
The amount of energy packed into that entity.

"Inflation is way smaller still for the beginning size of our Universe." Let it begin then (an endless beginning always). A quantum of discreet (local finite '1' (unity) . . . lots of discreet quanta (nonlocal infinite '0' (null unity)). Coarse grain chunky [matter (+) / antimatter (-)] (and pretty damned cool, pretty damned low energy, at that) and/or energy [(positively convex (+) / negatively concave (-))] smoother than silk (and pretty damned heated, pretty damned high energy, at that).

"Beginning" [is] relative . . . Beginnings [are] relative.
and
"Size" [is] relative . . . Sizes [are] relative.

(Universe (U) = Horizon (H).)
(universe (u) = horizon (u).)

Last edited:
Reactions: RobbyQbit

Latest posts