J-horror

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wmdragon

my wife and I have been getting interested in the recent crossover of japanese horror movies to hollywood, as well as the original japanese versions, so I was wondering if people here could give some recommendations for/against movies in this genre. thanks. we've seen:<br /><br />The Ring (hollywood and original)<br />one of the Tommy episodes<br />Audience (really messed up movie) <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#993366"><em>The only laws of matter are those which our minds must fabricate, and the only laws of mind are fabricated for it by matter.</em> <br /> --- James Clerk Maxwell</font></p> </div>

G

grooble

Dark Water is a good one. <br /><br />Oh yeah, and one of my personal faves, Kairo, also known as Pulse. Really great film.<br /><br />http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0286751/<br /><br /><i><br />Author: Manji (elf_bucho@hotmail.com) from toronto, ontario<br /><br /><br />For a while now, I've been trying to find Kiyoshi Kurosawa's Korei (aka. Seance). Admittedly, I'm not familiar with Kiyoshi Kurosawa's work, except for what i had seen in some asian film magazines and I was hooked already. But I truly was not prepared for KAIRO.<br /><br />This film is just plain terrifying. I really, really want to explain what this film is about but it'll only ruin the film, in my opinion. Plus, there is still somethings that I don't understand, but loved anyway.<br /><br />If I had to sum up this film, I'd probably have to say that it's a story about the end of the world from the most unlikely place. From within. Anymore info would just be cruel to give up.<br /><br />Though I've been vague about what goes on in the film I will say this. The atmosphere makes this movie everything that it is. In modern times many filmmakers go for the character's coming out loud and clear, and the atmosphere/environment is relegated to 2nd or even 3rd place. But here the true "star" of the film is the creepy and almost unbearably docile environment surrounding, enchanting, and swallowing up the main characters. There's a thin line between good Japanese horror (Ring) and bad Japanese horror (Inugami), this flick is so far from bad that it's practically holding hands with Ring as they stroll into my dvd collection.<br /><br /></i>

T

the_masked_squiggy

At Anime Expo we got a Geneon preview reel disc, and included were clips from one just about to come out, called "The Locker". Apparently it's the re-hashing of an urban legend, and sounds something like "The Ring", where everyone who is shown the contents of the locker (home of a monster) is affected. Not sure if/when it's coming out in English, but chances are you can get it with subtitles. It appears to be pretty well done.

W

wmdragon

which Dark Water, original or US version?<br /><br />Kairo/Pulse is already being hollywoodized, dont know when it comes out <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#993366"><em>The only laws of matter are those which our minds must fabricate, and the only laws of mind are fabricated for it by matter.</em> <br /> --- James Clerk Maxwell</font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts