James Webb Space Telescope strikes again, delivers new shining galaxy image

Jul 6, 2024
Visit site
I understand the need to use as simple language as possible for the general public, but I think the intro just serves to confuse said general public.

You aim to explain why infrared is relevant. The second and third paragraphs give two different explanations, both of which are more or less technically correct, but there is no explanation of which one is relevant and why, and a confused member of the general public might conflate the two.

The first explanation, that the visible light reaching us from galaxies in the early Universe is redshifted to infrared, is the primary reason why the JWST sensors aim at that wavelength band. However, that's irrelevant in the case of M106, which is nearby and has a relatively miniscule redshift (in fact it's so small you'd barely notice the colour change with the naked eye).

The reason IR is relevant here is something completely unrelated, which is the second explanation: IR is less absorbed by dust clouds, thus in IR, we can see at the stars (and black hole accretion discs) in the dense core of nearby galaxies. This is a side benefit of using an instrument primarily designed & built to detect much much much more distant galaxies in the early universe.

Finally, a smaller correction: cosmological redshift is not because objects are moving away but because the space between us has expanded, and the light travelling from the distant galaxy to us "stretched out" with it. (This might be easier to understand for members of the general public who have watched sci-fi shows like Start Trek: a "warp drive" is supposed to work by contracting the space ahead of a spaceship and expanding the space behind it.)

Reactions: Unclear Engineer
Jul 7, 2024
Visit site
I always wonder whats going on there when I see pictures like this. Other beings living their lives or is it completely void of intelligent life. The latter is always harder to imagine with how many star systems there are. There's just no way earth is that unique with trillions of other potential life hosting planets. If earth is the one and only we were the wrong species to give it to

Last edited by a moderator:

TRENDING THREADS