James Webb Space Telescope

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill_Wright

Hi:
I think we might be getting ready to make a big mistake. We have spent a lot of money building this scope and plan to launch it into one of the Lagrangian Points, I think the one with the Earth between it and the Sun. Nobody has done a survey of these points near Earth to ascertain how full of rocks and dust they might be. I think there are similar areas called Trojans around Jupiter that are known to have big rocks and can be assumed to have particles right down to the size of tiny dust.

Now just recently a survey of Antarctica done by the Australians and Americans turned up a plateau in "Australian Territory" that is considered to have "seeing" pretty close to that of the HST. Why don't we put the Webb scope there and test it out until we insure that there will be no problems in its intended "parking spot"? We would learn many lessons about operating in harsh environments (this is one of the coldest spots on Earth), minimize risks in making a mistake, get some awfully good science done, and save a ton of money as the folks who work in Antarctica tend to do so for the love of the place, not money. If it turns out that the concern is unfounded, then we just pick up the scope, call it an extended ground test, and launch it to L1 (or 2, 3, 40 - whatever). I'm sure that some politicos could put a real positive spin on this so nobody but us would be the wiser.
Bill

U

UFmbutler

Do you realize the chance of an asteroid striking something as tiny as a telescope? Look at how miniscule the probability is for hitting a big honkin' thing like Earth.

Do you also realize how many space telescopes we launch into such Lagrangian points, and the extensive testing they have to go through before launched? They have probably put it in artificial environments far more harsh than anything on Earth.

Also, testing JWST from the ground would be a waste. This is a telescope designed to observe in the infrared. Look at this diagram of the atmosphere's transmission vs. wavelength. http://isc.astro.cornell.edu/~spoon/cra ... ission.jpg Infrared astronomy from the ground is very difficult in the best case scenario.

B

Bill_Wright

The point isn't getting struck by an asteroid, it is that these points might be filled with dust which is about the worst case scenario other than liquid water for IR attenuation. We have yet to survey the area we plan to put this scope into but we have done a great survey of this spot in Antarctica and it is about as dry as space, has minimal wind which would cause bad seeing, and is far more accessible than an L point. Why take chances with such a valuable tool? As a software engineer with a background in chemistry and physics I can guarantee you that the root of all evil is having a poor test strategy. The JWST is too important a tool to waste on a poor observing site.
Peace,
Bill

C

centsworth_II

The Lagrangian points are not that stable. Man made craft will need to spend energy to stay in the location. Dust and rocks, not having the advantage of control rockets, will be unable to make adjustments and will drift off. The Lagrangian points are not spots where space junk continually builds up.

I'm sure the scientists have done their homework. There would be no one on Earth more devastated by the failure of Webb than those who would use its data in their research. It sounds like you think the task of positioning the telescope has been assigned to some some bureaucratic yutz who knows nothing about the solar system. :D

I remember when there was some consternation about sending probes through the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter. Several probes have since made the trip with no incident.

S

silylene

There are a lot more dangerous space litter / m^3 in near earth orbit than there is in the Lagrangian points, or the asteroid belt for that matter.

Just a couple days ago the ISS had a near miss, again!

And the amount of debris is increasing with the Cosmos/Iridium collision, and the stupid intentional satellite missile demos we and the Chinses did.

The Lagrangian point is far safer from the point of view of a collision with a space object than anything in near earth orbit.

C

centsworth_II

silylene":3emxhad4 said:
The Lagrangian point is far safer from the point of view of a collision with a space object than anything in near earth orbit.
Right, the Hubble telescope is in a much more dangerous environment than the Webb will be, and we see how long it has lasted. :D

Also, the Webb telescope will orbit the Lagrangian point at a distance of thousands of miles.

U

UFmbutler

I'm very confused why you are so concerned about this particular telescope. What about the Kepler telescope that just went up? Or the Hubble, or Spitzer, or Herschel, or any of the countless space telescopes that are already in space or soon will be? They are not in perfectly safe environments out there, but I can assure you that every precaution and test that the people designing it has been performed. It has to undergo this testing to pass the certification testing and all the other hurdles it has to jump before being launched into space. Testing it in Australia or wherever you want to test it isn't going to make it any safer once it is out there. If it gets dust on it it will get dust on it...there is nothing you can do about that.

You claim to know how much water attenuates IR radiation, but...what about all the water in our atmosphere? This site you are thinking of may not have as much as say, here in Florida, but it's still going to be there. You can't seriously be arguing that IR astronomy from the ground is even close to being the same quality as space based observations. If we were talking about an optical telescope, sure, it can be done from the ground. Nobody is going to fund a ground-based IR telescope with anywhere near the same resolving power that JWST will have. You may realize the importance of testing due to your educational background, but as an astronomer I can guarantee you that they don't have a poor test strategy, and I can guarantee that the JWST would cease to be an important tool if we just stuck it in the ground.

edit: I should note that there are ways to get around the atmosphere and do IR astronomy not in space. Check out SOFIA, an instrument to be mounted on some kind of airplane at high altitudes. It should give us a lot of interesting results, but it still can't compete with space based IR astronomy.

B

Bill_Wright

Hi --
I am glad to see that you all have strong opinions but you need to research this new site in Antarctica. It is dust free, water free, and has almost no wind. It was called the best site for IR astronomy on the planet.

I would also like to see some evidence that a site survey has been done for the JWST. To my knowledge we have yet to do so, but I could be wrong. I do know that we have put other scopes into space with inadequate testing (remember HST?) and took quite a hit for that. I am aware of SOFIA, and sent many letters to NASA when it was almost scrubbed in support of its completion.

What I would like to see is a response that includes facts, a real test plan for JWST, and maybe even a Failure Mode and Effects analysis (FMEA) showing that NASA has actually done their homework. I have read flow charts from NASA showing that formal test plans and FMEAs are called for, and as a tax-payer I'd like to really know that this isn't another shoot from the hip project but has actually been managed according to NASA's strictest standards. As an amateur astronomer since 1957 (Sputnik called!) I have been looking forward to better seeing than I have ever been able to achieve. I'd hate to think that budget and schedule crunches will deny this to all of us, amateur and professional astronomers, due to a lack of diligence.
Peace,
Bill

C

crazyeddie

Bill_Wright":2l72brft said:
Hi --
I am glad to see that you all have strong opinions but you need to research this new site in Antarctica. It is dust free, water free, and has almost no wind. It was called the best site for IR astronomy on the planet.

I imagine it would greatly add to the already-considerable cost of the JWST to have to transport such a large and fragile instrument to Antarctica, and to expose it to such risk merely to test it seems unjustified.

NASA learned a bitter lesson with the Hubble debacle, which they were very fortunate to have been able to rectify. You can bet that they will do everything possible to test the JWST thoroughly before launching it to a place we will have no access to to, once it's there.

C

centsworth_II

Bill_Wright":d6ebydvw said:
...What I would like to see is a response that includes facts, a real test plan for JWST...
In your original post, your priimary concern seemed to be that L2 was like "...similar areas called Trojans around Jupiter that are known to have big rocks and can be assumed to have particles right down to the size of tiny dust." (By the way, "Trojans" is the name given to the asteroids located in these areas, not the areas themselves.)

Since they are aware of Jupiter's Trojans, I'm sure they would have detected any similar situation at the MUCH closer L2 point. There is no danger to Webb from asteroids or dust at the L2 point.

If you have switched your concern to a lack of adequate testing of the Webb telescope itself, that is a different subject. I'm sure they are doing what they can, but we all know about NASA's budget problems. Unlimited testing is not an option, but still, given the recent success rate for NASA space missions, I do not think that fear of failure is a good reason not to go ahead with Webb.

B

Bill_Wright

Why don't we close this thread with the hope that my concerns are unfounded. I do feel that somewhere Dr. Feynman is not smiling about this, but I'll defer to your opinions. I'd still like to see the test plan and FMEA but I really think that NASA has turned into a "PowerPoint" organization. I blame Congress (specifically the House) for underfunding NASA. I think the whole stimulus bill should have gone to them to create 21st Century high tech jobs, right here in America. But I didn't get to vote on that.
Thanks for all of your input,
Bill

B

blackarrowwillliveagain

The JWT will be at L2, i.e. the Lagrangian point on the line that passes through the centre of the Sun and Earth, extended about 1.5 million km beyond Earth.

More accurately, the telescope will be in a orbit centred on L2, in a plane perpendicular to the Sun-Earth radial. This is a 'semi stable' orbit, and will need tweaking from the telescope's propulsion to keep in place.

Given the flagship nature of this mission, surely NASA will have done its homework, and testing. Surely the environment around L2 is so different from anywhere on Earth that any Earth based astronomy tests would be meaningless, it's just not designed to work here.

Anyway the European Herschel and Planck probes are in similar L2 orbits, and they will, hopefully, have had years of service before JWT is launched.

F

frodo1008

To me a far greater problem is that we are going to put a very complicated piece of equipment so far out that there will be no chance of the shuttle or any of its follow on launch systems ever being able to help it if something goes wrong. Remembering that the Hubble itself would have been the most expensive piece of space junk in history instead of the greatest single scientific instrument in history, if the space shuttle had not been able to reach it to provide it with its "Glasses", then to me having an even far more expensive instrument get so far out that there would be NO help for it if something goes wrong, is just a bit on the scary side to me.

But testing it in Antarctica would have nothing to do with that anyway!

In fact, the less this instrument is handled and fooled with the better!

Hopefully, this time NASA has made very sure that the mirror configuration is either adjustable in itself, or is absolutely perfect well before it gets launched!

Hopefully.... a whole lot of things!!

J

JonClarke

As others have said, the Herschel and Planck Space Observatories are in the Sun-Earth L2 point, along with the Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP). The Advanced Composition Explorer (ACE), Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO), and WIND are all at Sun–Earth L1. The International Sun/Earth Explorer 3 (ISEE-3) and Genesis spacecraft were also at Sun–Earth L1 for a time. No issues were experienced with any of these.

Dust may well collect in the more stable Langrangian points L4 and L5, in fact possible dust clouds (Kordylewski clouds) are sometimes observed in the Earth-Moon L4 and L5 positions. But these aren't currently being used for satellite positioning. Even if they were, relative velocities between any particles and spacecraft will be extremely low as they will all be in the same orbit.

H

h2ouniverse

Bill,

There is in fact no telescope to be put right at L2. Actually they are placed (e.g. Herschel and Planck recently launched) in halo orbits around L2.
L2 lies at about 1,500,000 km from Earth, and the size of the halo "orbits" around L2 is considerable, in the order of several 800,000 kilometers for Herschel e.g. As seen from Earth this is an apparent angle of up to 30° around L2!
You can see indeed as mentionned by other posters that the density of debris is incommensurably far higher in LEO!

In adddition, L2 is not stable (only semi-stable), contrary to L4 and L5 where you can find trojans. Jupiter's trojans are at the L4 and L5 of the Sun-Jupiter Lagrange points, and no asteroid was ever found at L1, L2 or L3. Even Jupiter's trojans "clouds", btw, extend over several AUs: the gravitational tug between Jupiter and the Sun does not result into perfect convergence into one single point! There is no accumulation of matter at a very precise point. At best a higher density than normal (still to be demontrated, since the solar wind blows molecules and small particles away). STEREO is going to have a look at the Sun-Earth L4 and L5 points soon.

Finally, when you claim Antartica is "dust-free"... hmm...compared to New York probably.. But come on! Earth's atmosphere dust content, even at the poles, is by several orders of magnitude larger than in space.

I was about to forget: one major mission for JWST is InfraRed observation. No ground observatory can do that: the atmosphere is opaque, even at the poles. The altitude in Dome C or at South Pole (close to 3000m), while helping, is far from sufficient to provide for an InfraRed-transparent sky.

Best regards.

G

geofbrewer

Considering the JWST was designed for operation in space and survive launch, what would the added cost be to haul it to Antarctica? Don't forget the cost of infrastructure. I suppose we could ask the Brits about the Beagle get their input and then extrapolate for a risk analysis. I seem to remember a fellow named Sean. Very cautious fellow. Seems we went ahead and fixed the HST. Opinions are fine. Sometimes we just need to do something. Get ourselves out of this self-destructive mode. We are in far more danger. I just hope we get our act together before it's too late. Hope for the best, expect the worst.

G

Geoduck2

I can't speak to the risks in the Lagrangian points. But I have built telescopes and know a bit about what's needed to run them.

The Webb is a great instrument FOR THE ENVIRONMENT OF SPACE. It simply is not a ground based telescope. It has no mount, no way of supporting and pointing it that would work on the ground. I'm not even sure if the optics would stay collimated in a gravitational field. This is a space telescope designed to work in a vacuum and zero G. The seeing may be incredible in this spot on the Antarctic plateau, but the Webb wasn't designed to work there. Now, I'd love to see them put a 10 meter instrument on this plateau in Antarctica. I think some amazing things could be done. Possibly better data than the Hubble or Web will produce. That is an idea that I could get behind.

A

Awasteofspace

I wouldn't say the danger to the telescope from debris is as much a factor as the cost of losing it due to ANY type of failure. Theres just as much a chance that it suddenly stops transmitting one day. And at this point, theres no way to repair a vehicle at L2.

They're going to spend $2 billion to get the Mars Lab rover finished and launched, and like all Mars missions, its chances are 50/50. We can't even build a simple capsule and rocket to get four people into orbit for $2 billion.

M

MeteorWayne

Awasteofspace;

Welcome to Space.com.

So what is your point? We should not undertake risky missions? If that's the case, we will do nothing at all. All missions are risky to varying degrees. What do you propose instead?

K

kousha84

Hi,

Sir, with all respect your post doesn't make much sense. Apparantly you haven't done much reading and study into these topics, which could be why you are working for this mission!?

First of all, The whole point of sending space telescopes is for the incoming light to not be partially blocked by ATMOSPHERE, whether you are in Antartica or New York you WILL have atmosphere, this will lead to greater sensitivity and accuracy so we get clearer image with better resolution, Specially with James Webb as it works in infrared . Although in Hubble's orbit very little atmosphere exists, but that doesn't have much effect. Also if you have read you would know that James Webb is gonna work in infrared, so the higher the orbit the better resolution it gets by: 1- Having less atmospheric pressure and blockade for incoming light 2- Having less background radiation noise from Earth. So the most cost effective and efficient method is to put it in Lagrangian point, L2. For infrared telescopes the satellite has to be really cold, so neither L1, L3, L4 or L5 work as well as L2 because its position from the sun is longer.

Regarding dust in L2, you should know that L2 is not 100% stable so no single dust or rock can stay there for long, they will eventually get out of it. Besides with the size of orbit of earth around sun, the probability of finding a rock at that exact position is astronomically lower than all orbits around earth. In fact in terms of collision probability, L2 is the safest place for satelites compared to all other orbits around earth.

F

frodo1008

For my own case, I am not saying that we should not be taking whatever chances it will take to do this. What I am saying however, is that NASA needs to be very, very careful to make sure this works perfectly the first time it is deployed!

Just as a single ship human mission to Mars must also be perfect. There will be NO Apollo 13 type of rescue for a crew that is tens of millions of miles from the Earth!

For either type of mission, there will be absolutely NO margin for error!

And that IS the TRUTH!!!!

H

Hiberniantears

frodo1008":2z9n30yq said:
For my own case, I am not saying that we should not be taking whatever chances it will take to do this. What I am saying however, is that NASA needs to be very, very careful to make sure this works perfectly the first time it is deployed!

Just as a single ship human mission to Mars must also be perfect. There will be NO Apollo 13 type of rescue for a crew that is tens of millions of miles from the Earth!

For either type of mission, there will be absolutely NO margin for error!

And that IS the TRUTH!!!!

You realize the JWST is unmanned, right?

B

Bill_Wright

Bill_Wright":1z32jbby said:
Hi:
I think we might be getting ready to make a big mistake. We have spent a lot of money building this scope and plan to launch it into one of the Lagrangian Points, I think the one with the Earth between it and the Sun. Nobody has done a survey of these points near Earth to ascertain how full of rocks and dust they might be. I think there are similar areas called Trojans around Jupiter that are known to have big rocks and can be assumed to have particles right down to the size of tiny dust.

Now just recently a survey of Antarctica done by the Australians and Americans turned up a plateau in "Australian Territory" that is considered to have "seeing" pretty close to that of the HST. Why don't we put the Webb scope there and test it out until we insure that there will be no problems in its intended "parking spot"? We would learn many lessons about operating in harsh environments (this is one of the coldest spots on Earth), minimize risks in making a mistake, get some awfully good science done, and save a ton of money as the folks who work in Antarctica tend to do so for the love of the place, not money. If it turns out that the concern is unfounded, then we just pick up the scope, call it an extended ground test, and launch it to L1 (or 2, 3, 40 - whatever). I'm sure that some politicos could put a real positive spin on this so nobody but us would be the wiser.
Bill

OK Folks,
As I mentioned in my originating post I wasn't sure of the Lagrangian Point number (hence the use of 'whatever'), but I knew it was the one using the Earth's shadow to block heat from the Sun as I described.
As I also mentioned in my post there are similar areas around Jupiter containing big rocks that we can see (the Trojans), and probably greatly larger amounts of space junk we can't see. Obviously this is due to the unique nature of these fairly stable gravitational balance points that accompany bodies of great mass.
As far as lacking a mount for the JWST, any rich amateur could craft some sort of Dobsonian motorized mount that would allow remote tracking of a few interesting objects for one six-month Antarctic night.
As for loss of collimation on Earth, where did they test this thing? I guarantee it has not been hauled into orbit and tested in micro-gravity for loss of collimation. All of the testing has been done on Earth.
As for the cost of getting it in and out of Antarctica, tons of supplies and equipment do this every Antarctic summer. I do not know the cost per pound but I can guarantee that a C-130 and a helicopter flight will be cheaper than a rocket launch.
As for it surviving Antarctica, the plateau I described has itself been described as the driest, calmest spot on Earth. As an amateur astronomer I drool occasionally over the domes they sell today. I know you can buy an ASCOM-compliant dome for less than $50k that could cover the JWST if some weird weather warranted that. I'm also sure that if NASA custom built one it would cost $M's, so I'd favor not getting them too involved in that. Let the CBO fund this as an independent agency in charge of our budget. They could probably hire a couple of grad students for next to nothing who'd love to do this for their dissertation.
As for the delay this might cause to test this instrument, how late already is the JWST? Will six months to test it actually harm anybody? Will there be any jobs lost? The same people who would operate it when it is in orbit will get to practice while it is here on the ground and recoverable.
A lot of folks have written in that NASA must have tested it because it cost a lot of money. Well that is a totally ridiculous argument. It is way over budget and way late. The first thing any organization does in this scenario is to pull stuff from the work-plan, and that stuff is usually testing. I have yet to read one post from anybody that has seen the complete test plan. As NASA is tax-supported then they should post it on their tax-payer funded web-site every week showing first that they have one, and secondly that they are making progress and we could see who has signed off on each test step. I have a web-site and editor software that I bought from one of the providers who advertise on TV for less than $500. NASA already has their site so they should provide us access to these documents for no cost as I am sure they have a full-time web person who would have to spend about a minute each week posting the updated documents. If NASA refuses, then the CBO should close down the project as it is obviously being mis-run. I have been really looking forward to the results from the JWST but I don't want to be disappointed in finding out it is an expensive lemon.
So, put up or shut up. Show me the test plan. Explain why this project is so far behind schedule and so much over budget. I am really convinced that the reason there is so little support for the space program is that NASA gets almost nothing done on time or on budget. If they can't get money from Congress then they shouldn't make commitments they know they can't keep. If they only did one thing a year but did it on-time and within budget then the public might get confident enough in the organization to support greater expenditures.

H

Hiberniantears

Bill_Wright":1elr2jjv said:
Why don't we close this thread with the hope that my concerns are unfounded. I do feel that somewhere Dr. Feynman is not smiling about this, but I'll defer to your opinions. I'd still like to see the test plan and FMEA but I really think that NASA has turned into a "PowerPoint" organization. I blame Congress (specifically the House) for underfunding NASA. I think the whole stimulus bill should have gone to them to create 21st Century high tech jobs, right here in America. But I didn't get to vote on that.
Thanks for all of your input,
Bill

If we gave the entire stimulus to NASA, they'd just blow it on a better toilet seat.

As for the decision to park the JWST in this particular L point, any dust won't obscure the spacecraft's view. We already have things parked out there, and they work just fine. As regards NASA's risk management, this is an organization that was genuinely surprised that a rubber O ring could be affected by weather conditions. They were also shocked when it turned out that a winged spaceschip with a leading edge on the wings constructed from light-weight tiles could be susceptable to impact from a low mass object impacting the tile at high speed. They also lost a Mars probe ten years back because engineers were using a combination of metric and imperial units, and nobody picked up on this until said probe went zipping off into deep space.

Then you have the Mars Polar Lander, which turned into the Mars Polar Impactor when it shut down its descent rockets while still airborne. More recently, Phoenix was almost a relative bust when we failed to design a digging tool which could efficiently scoop up ice and dirt and move it about three feet to an onboard oven. Because the soil at the landing site was clumpy, it stuck to the shovel, and thus several samples of ice were lost because they sublimated in the time it took NASA engineers back on Earth to figure out how to empty the shovel.

While the Spirit and Opportunity rovers have turned out to be monumentally sucessful, remember when we discovered that their flash drive memories had to be purged or the rover would put itself in safe mode? Remember how we only discovered this when Spirit shut itself down a couple of days into the mission? Kind of seems like one of those basic tests of functionality that should have been covered on Earth.

Add to the list Hubble's mirror.

Anyone remember the antennae fiasco on Galileo?

Moving beyond this, NASA is also an organization that went from Mercury to Apollo in under a decade, and then on to Skylab and the Shuttle shortly thereafter. Since then, NASA has lost nearly half of the Shuttle fleet, and have failed to field a single new human spacecraft in 30 years. NASA has the Shuttle slated to retire next year, and while there are certainly some very pretty mockups of the new Orion capsule, the Ares I rocket which is meant to launch it will probably be slated for cancellation later this week. By this time next week, NASA may have an ageing and unreliable Shuttle fleet slated to retire, along with an under-development Apollo throw-back as the Shuttle replacement. Said replacement will have no launch system.

Just the fact that NASA had the audacity to roll out the Ares I design demonstrates that the organization lacks a basic grasp of sound project management, vision, and innovation.

The Augustine Commission delivers their formal report on Tuesday, and I think it is safe to say that their proposals for human spaceflight will have serious ramifications on unmanned space science programs. In the long run, this will probably be a good thing, but I wouldn't put money on seeing the JWST launch any time soon. Some leaks of the report, as well as the preliminary report delivered last week, indicate that there will be a strong recommendation to move NASA away from designing and launching LEO manned spacecraft in favor of commercially provided services (such as SpaceX with the Dragon). The intention will be to allow NASA to focus resources on robotic science missions (like the JWST), and to also develop a deep space human spaceflight capability. What NASA actually does to implement such a strategy, this is part of the reason that in the last couple of weeks we have seen Lockheed role out the "Kissing Orions" near earth asteroid mission configuration, as well as the Bigelow Aerospace proposed Orion Lite, an LEO only Orion configuration which Bigelow would manufacture and launch. Designed in partnership with... wait for it... Lockheed, which is also the primary contractor for the Atlas V rocket, is a likely candidate for replacing the Ares I in a human rated configuration.

The Orion Lite is also being designed with Space X in mind, using their Falcon 9 launcher. What we're seeing is an American space program that has gone badly off the rails. However, private companies recognize that:

A: Project Constellation is toast
B: NASA will not be able to close the gap between Shuttle retirement and Orion rolleout using the Ares I
C: While American's are apathetic toward NASA, they are not apathetic about space exploration in general
D: Not having human spaceflight capabilities will be a political loser, even if NASA is rarely a political winner
E: It is commercially wise to develop alternative launch systems that will be compatible with Orion because there will be a political need to launch our own people
F: Lockheed has Orion and Atlas V. SpaceX has Dragon and Falcon 9. Bigelow has Orion Lite, on behalf of Lockheed, as well as Sundancer. Together, they will be able to provide US-based human launches to LEO and the ISS.
G: Lockheed doesn't need Ares I. They do need a new Heavy Lift capability, which is expected from the Ares V, or a variant of DIRECT.
H: DIRECT can launch the Orion, and most of the systems and components are already flight tested on the Shuttle.
I: NASA has also resurected the Shuttle-C design, which could be Human rated to support the Orion in a side mount configuration similar to the Shuttle. Most of these components are also proven and could be fielded quickly.

So making a long story short Bill, you are correct to doubt NASA's ability to launch the JWST. However, the reasons for doubting them are related to their internal program management and resource utilization. The JWST orbit is probably the only proven part of that mission.

M

MeteorWayne

Bill, your "Test in Antarcitca" plan is DOA. The JWST is not designed to operate in a 1 g gravity field. It would collapse or be irreperably damaged.

It can ONLY be deployed in 0 g/microgravity.

So please just cross that idea off the list.

Physics ain't negotiable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts