John Steakley - "Armor 2"

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

a_lost_packet_

<p>If you haven't read John Steakley's "Armor" then I suggest you go right out and grab a copy.&nbsp; It's excellent.</p><p>However, if you have read it and enjoyed it, you're going to really love this.. It seems, Steakley is working on "Armor 2" and has even released a teaser!</p><p>http://johnsteakley.com/Armor2.html</p><p>I hope the teaser indicates that it will be more of Felix's story that Crowe's.&nbsp; Every single reader and commentator I've read who gave their opinion has praised the Felix portion of the book and downplayed or even criticized the Crowe angle.&nbsp; I feel the same way.&nbsp; I think that if he had continued solely with the Felix storyline, he wouldn't have introduced the artificial disconnect with the readers.</p><p>Felix's point of view, his thoughts and his perspective being involved in an inter-species war rivals ANY other author's at portraying similiar stories.&nbsp; Steakley's "Armor" makes Heinlein's "Starship Troopers" look like a day at the park.. except for the last half of the book and the disconnected "Crowe" sequences which seriously detract from the drama and experience.&nbsp; </p><p>Well, one can hope this is more "Felix" than anything else.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1">I put on my robe and wizard hat...</font> </div>

S

Saiph

<p>....</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>yipeee!</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>---While the Felix portion of the story was definetly the best part, I did like the Crowe angle as well. </p><p>I have to say, running across <em>Armor</em> during my routine perusals of airport bookstores during some of my college adventures was definetly a stroke of luck. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

A

a_lost_packet_

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>....&nbsp;&nbsp;yipeee!&nbsp;&nbsp;---While the Felix portion of the story was definetly the best part, I did like the Crowe angle as well. I have to say, running across Armor during my routine perusals of airport bookstores during some of my college adventures was definetly a stroke of luck. <br /> Posted by Saiph</DIV></p><p>/agree with both points</p><p>I happened to pick it up after reading a series about something similar.&nbsp; Can't recall the name, atm.&nbsp; Another guy and a suit of powered armor type story.</p><p>Anyway, the visceral and emotional approach Steakley uses in telling Felix's story is just too good to pass up.&nbsp; I enjoyed some of the Crowe moments but, mostly only in how they related to the Felix angle.&nbsp; Crowe was a little bit "too much" of a character for me.&nbsp; Today, when I re-read Armor, I usually end up skipping through the Crowe parts and hitting the Felix storyline then tying it up with the ending. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1">I put on my robe and wizard hat...</font> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts