JPL Enceladus Lecture - Webcast 16 August

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

brellis

von Karman Lecture Series - talking about the "rollover" theory. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font size="2" color="#ff0000"><em><strong>I'm a recovering optimist - things could be better.</strong></em></font> </p> </div>

B

brellis

The Illinois guys have updated the Frigid Faithful theory<br /><br />hmm, maybe there's not a bunch of Enceledusian microbes waiting to be discovered after all. March 2008 - Cassini will fly through a geyser!<br /><br />astronomy.com article on the rollover <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font size="2" color="#ff0000"><em><strong>I'm a recovering optimist - things could be better.</strong></em></font> </p> </div>

H

h2ouniverse

Hmm. <br />I've read your link..<br />I am still puzzled on how much energy people spend to set up complicated theories, just to avoid the straightforward inferences. Especially when liquid water is at stake. People seem to be terrified at the idea that it is relatively common.<br />So now, the magical chlathrates are invoked. How convenient. As they can store much energy, just put some in your model and you can get whatever you want.<br />I have attended very convincing presentations based on thermal models, that conclude to the likelihood of asymetrical heat, subpolar heated zone. <br />Few tenths of W/m² are enough to keep above-zero temperatures under few kms of ice. <br /><br />So, if I follow the Frigid guys, there is just enough energy for the heat advection to occur, and not enough for pockets of water to form...<br />And by chance, those chlathrates would be on Enceladus an not on many other icy bodies?<br /><br />Sorry but until chlathrates presence AND this new mechanism are both evidenced, I still stick to Occam's razor law.<br />Decades of engineering experience have learnt me to trust more the thermicians than the chemists.<br />The established facts are:<br />* asymmetrical heat source<br />* thermal gradients at cracks levels.<br /><br />Best regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts