just an idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

billie623

Hello all.... i was lookin a pics of jupiter on google before and just got to wonderin if jupiter could turn into a black hole. so is it even possible ?

Z

Zoliv

Hello,

It was planned to happen in 2010, as great astronomer Arthur Clarke said, and, oh ! It's happening right now !!

Jupiter-2010.jpg

Sorry...

M

MeteorWayne

billie623":bi8lrnqt said:
Hello all.... i was lookin a pics of jupiter on google before and just got to wonderin if jupiter could turn into a black hole. so is it even possible ?

No, it is far too small to become one on it's own. It's not even large enough to be a star, and only stars larger than our own sun can become a black hole naturally.

If you could shrink it to the size of a bit less than 3 meters (about 9 feet), it would make a very small black hole.

C

CAllenDoudna

Along with this, you've probably heard that Jupiter is on its way to becoming a star? We'll never have any night--oh, I'll save that for another post.

Jupiter would need to be 55 times bigger than it is now (in terms of mass) before it could be a small red dwarf. And then it would just be a bright red dot up in the sky. Right now Jupiter has about 2% of the mass it needs to become a red dwarf. If it swallowed Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune it would have less than 4% of the necessary mass. So unless a cloud with 60 times the mass of all the planets in our solar system were to drift along and every last bit of it decided to join Jupiter then it can't even become a small red dwarf star that would make little difference to us here on Earth. To become a black hole would require vastly more matter than that. The matter for all this to happen just isn't there. So relax; it doesn't matter.

A

a_lost_packet_

billie623":30xt4smv said:

Not naturally.

But, any mass bearing matter can be turned into a black hole if you squish it down small enough. If you had enough energy and a means to focus it, you could squish your computer down to the size required for gravity to take it the rest of the way and "poof" you'd have a black hole. In nature, gravity does that work and Saturn is simply not massive enough to be able to collapse in that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts