Just one Solid booster on an Atlas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

willpittenger

I was watching a <i>Mega Movers</i> episode on the <i>History Channel</i>. They showed an Atlas V being launched with just one side-mounted solid rocket booster. Wouldn't that create a lot of off-center thrust? How do you counter that? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

K

kurtwagner

"This Atlas is different from the seven previous vehicles to fly. AV-008 features a single solid rocket booster strapped to the side of the rocket's first stage. Unlike previous Atlas launch vehicles, the Atlas 5 features the ability to have an unsymmetrical arrangement of strapon boosters and can fly with anywhere from none to 5 solids. This permits the vehicle profile to be tailored specifically to the particular mission. This increases the vehicle efficiency since it flies with just as much power as is necessary and doesn't need to carry extra boosters for the sake of maintaining symmetry. The Russian-built RD-180 engine compensates for the off-center thrust with its ability to swivel and balance the thrust vector from the solid rocket booster. The solid rocket, in turn has a canted nozzle that directs the thrust through the Atlas 5's center of gravity. "<br /><br />from http://www.spacearium.com/article.php?story=20060420102305962<br />

K

kane007

Welcome back. Have you been tied up with something <b>BIG</b>?

V

vogon13

Saw the title of this thread and assumed someone was trying to stick an Atlas on the side of a shuttle SRB.<br /><br />Since that isn't the idea apparently, let me now suggest it.<br /><br />Think how fast that combo could have sent New Horions screaming towards Pluto . . . . <br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

V

vulture2

Our new console actually has a computer! I remember when we only had rotary dial phones! Still, it's to bad the program to develop a new launch control system went over budget and was cancelled; Nasa should at least be able to handle computer technology. Even in Firing Room 4 some of the equipment is pretty old. Maybe we could have a scavanger hunt to find the oldest piece of hardware still in actual use.

S

steve82

Is there a picture of this beast anywhere? It sounds weird but I guess when you think about it, it's no stranger than having an orbiter sitting way off the centerline of an ET.....

W

willpittenger

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>Is there a picture of this beast anywhere?<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br />Sort of. Maybe others have actual pictures. But you could watch <i>Mega Movers</i> on the <i>History Channel</i>. Look for the <i>Space Machines</i> episode. Please note that the Atlas is BEING moved (from Lockheed to Cape Caneveral).<br /><br />You also get to see a Super Guppy move an ISS node. (Actually, the node will not fly into space as is. It was built for diagnostic purposes. When ISS crews have problems with a node, they will turn to the object shipped. In fact, they were shipping the node FROM Florida.) <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts