Landsat at 50: How satellites revolutionized the way we see — and protect — the natural world

In 1972 after working in the NASA Apollo Program, and after receiving NASA Apollo Achievement Award, I spent a year at the famous Willow Run Lab at U of MI and helped scientist select Spectral bands for the ERTS1 and added a near IR band for ERTS 2 these were renamed Landsat 1 and 2.
My work with Robert E Turner on the Radiative transfer calculations for solar radiation in Earth's atmosphere helped determine the amount of atmospheric correction in each band and thus helped select those bands where the image could be corrected for atmospheric effects. One of the parameters used was horizontal visual range especially for fog and hazy Mie Scattering.
I was then among the first scientists who walked on the digital printout with different characters indicating bands and brightness in each band thus did thematic mapping semi automatically.
Incidentally I processed Himalayan Region Images of India around July 1972 itself. It included study of rivers and canal systems in Punjab.
in 1975 I set up the national Remote Sensing Agency in India and also its forest Earth Station was planned for receiving Landsat and Indian Remote Sensing Satellites data hat is till working near Hyderabad India today.
Dr. Ravi Sharma
(Dr. Ravi Sharma, Ph.D. USA)
Chair, Ontology Summit 2022
Senior Enterprise Architect
Particle and Space Physicist
Elk Grove CA

Reactions: billslugg

Latest posts