Launch delay due to SRB's ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

samkent

There seems to be back and forth talk about the feasibility of Ares solids over the more traditional Jupiter launch systems. So a basic question popped up in my head.<BR/><BR/>Has there ever been a launch delay due to a problem in the solids?<BR/><BR/>We hear of plenty of delays due to the tanks, pumps, engines etc. But I don’t remember if there was ever one for the SRBs. If there was it couldn’t have happened very often. And what would that say for getting Ares off the ground on time?

D

DrRocket

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>There seems to be back and forth talk about the feasibility of Ares solids over the more traditional Jupiter launch systems. So a basic question popped up in my head. Has there ever been a launch delay due to a problem in the solids? We hear of plenty of delays due to the tanks, pumps, engines etc. But I don&rsquo;t remember if there was ever one for the SRBs. If there was it couldn&rsquo;t have happened very often. And what would that say for getting Ares off the ground on time? <br />Posted by samkent</DIV></p><p>There was rather a long delay following the Challenger accident, but that is the only delay that I know of due to solids.</p><p>Once a solid is assembled and leak checked the only systems that are available for any further checks are the thrust vector actuation system and the ordnance system.&nbsp; Those generally don't have problems and have not resulted in any delays that I know of.&nbsp; There are really not many checks that are run on even those systems, since you would need outside hydraulic power for the TVA and that is generally checked only when the system is initially stacked.&nbsp; About all that is done with ordnance systems is a continuity check.</p><p>Solids are generally pretty good about being able to launch on time.&nbsp; That is why ICBMs are solids.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

B

Bytor_YYZ

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>There seems to be back and forth talk about the feasibility of Ares solids over the more traditional Jupiter launch systems. So a basic question popped up in my head. Has there ever been a launch delay due to a problem in the solids? We hear of plenty of delays due to the tanks, pumps, engines etc. But I don&rsquo;t remember if there was ever one for the SRBs. If there was it couldn&rsquo;t have happened very often. And what would that say for getting Ares off the ground on time? <br /> Posted by samkent</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Many times, just off the top of my head.</p><p>STS-9</p><p>STS-81</p><p>STS-26</p><p>&nbsp; </p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts