LETS NUKE THE MOON TO FIND WATER.

Page 3 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SpaceTas

:lol:
Yes Yes Yes. A brilliant idea! We at the Committee Responsible for Apollo Pranks will now begin its implementation "accidentally" destroying all Apollo "landing sites". This will not only leave the "so called landings" unverifiable but dissuade anybody else from returning to the Moon. With the water vaporized, a thin radioactive lunar atmosphere there's no incentive. ...... :p

Sarcastic Chuckle

S

StarRider1701

Yep, don't have to nuke the moon now, we found the water! Interesting how the stuff of life seems to be nearly everywhere in our solar system. Can one extrapolate and say the stuff of life is likely found in ANY solar system? Which means that any planet lucky enough to have formed at the correct distance from its star is very likely to contain life. We've just gone one step closer to proving that life is out there among the stars. Which also gives us more reason to figure out how to go there.
Too bad we're just now in the infancy of human space travel. I'd love to be a Solar System resident, say 200 years from now. Lunar cities, colonies on Mars, mines on Mercury and in the Asteroid Belt. Someone would be building the first interstellar space ship to go and colonize an Earthlike planet that our scopes have found around a nearby star. Ah born 200 years too soon. I guess I can hope for reincarnation...

C

cyclonebuster

StarRider1701":3eog5gtz said:
Yep, don't have to nuke the moon now, we found the water! Interesting how the stuff of life seems to be nearly everywhere in our solar system. Can one extrapolate and say the stuff of life is likely found in ANY solar system? Which means that any planet lucky enough to have formed at the correct distance from its star is very likely to contain life. We've just gone one step closer to proving that life is out there among the stars. Which also gives us more reason to figure out how to go there.
Too bad we're just now in the infancy of human space travel. I'd love to be a Solar System resident, say 200 years from now. Lunar cities, colonies on Mars, mines on Mercury and in the Asteroid Belt. Someone would be building the first interstellar space ship to go and colonize an Earthlike planet that our scopes have found around a nearby star. Ah born 200 years too soon. I guess I can hope for reincarnation...

Nuking the moon may not be needed now that water was found. Now that water was found I bet some bacteria is also growing in the sun lit areas where the temperature is warmer or even in some underground caverns pooling with water.

C

CommonMan

cyclonebuster":27dsq3iy said:
Nuking the moon may not be needed now that water was found. Now that water was found I bet some bacteria is also growing in the sun lit areas where the temperature is warmer or even in some underground caverns pooling with water.

I'm not up on the science info on the moon, but last I heard that there is no where on the surface of the moon that is not freezing. And are there caverns on the moon?

C

cyclonebuster

CommonMan":35mcuzp9 said:
cyclonebuster":35mcuzp9 said:

I'm not up on the science info on the moon, but last I heard that there is no where on the surface of the moon that is not freezing. And are there caverns on the moon?

In daylight you could boil a pot of water away pretty fast but in the shade or darkside that same pot of water would freeze pretty quick. Underground is the most likely spot in a cavern or some thermal vent if one exists? Perhaps Earths tidal forces upon the moon may create some interior heat that when combined with this water they found could support life. The moons regolith may be insulating the heat and thus keeping it from escaping and fooling our sensors making us think there is no interior heat on the moon when there is.

C

CommonMan

You are right! I looked up the temperture of the moon and it is hot in the daytime. I guess I never really paid that much attention to the moon. I always read the stuff about all of the planets when they find something new.

C

cyclonebuster

CommonMan":1opu2o7k said:
You are right! I looked up the temperture of the moon and it is hot in the daytime. I guess I never really paid that much attention to the moon. I always read the stuff about all of the planets when they find something new.

Yes it is a big temperature differential there, enough to boil then freeze water.

A

AmeerikaUlePilvede

It is almost as if this solar system holds every key to the galaxy. The fact that our moon, once thought to have been waterless and nothing but a satelitte, now seems to be another celestial body in Sol's orbit that contains water. Also, along with the fact that there are 3 "Super Earths" orbiting HD 40307 could suggest that every star has at least one Earth orbiting it. Now if we can only find those aquafers you were talking so much about Cyclone Buster.

Z

ZenGalacticore

MeteorWayne":fxn03sf0 said:
Actually about 25 gallons :)

Yes. My bad. I was so excited when reading the story I thought I read "equivalent to dozens of 2 gallon buckets". Then I was so keyed up when I was typing. I'd a been happy if they had only found two quarts! (Er, sorry Smersh. Two litres! :) )

I wonder if the general public understands the significance of this? The Moon is our stepping stone baby!!!! Yee haa!

A

AmeerikaUlePilvede

ZenGalacticore":1lz13ggg said:
MeteorWayne":1lz13ggg said:
Actually about 25 gallons :)

Yes. My bad. I was so excited when reading the story I thought I read "equivalent to dozens of 2 gallon buckets". Then I was so keyed up when I was typing. I'd a been happy if they had only found two quarts! (Er, sorry Smersh. Two litres! :) )

I wonder if the general public understands the significance of this? The Moon is our stepping stone baby!!!! Yee haa!

I share your enthusiasm Zen. Imagine all the possibilities this discovery could have, the effect it will have on space travel or colonization! Its very exciting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts