Logged in - Not logged in

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SpeedFreek

I still have to log in every day, even though I always tick the box that says "Keep me logged in until I log out."

It doesn't matter whether I log in using the top field (with the green writing, next to the SDC banner), or use the forum login below, the same thing always happens - I have to log in at least once a day. I have cleared out my cookies and cache and it still happens.

Any ideas why this is still happening?

D

doublehelix

SpeedFreek":zmugsro2 said:
I still have to log in every day, even though I always tick the box that says "Keep me logged in until I log out."

It doesn't matter whether I log in using the top field (with the green writing, next to the SDC banner), or use the forum login below, the same thing always happens - I have to log in at least once a day. I have cleared out my cookies and cache and it still happens.

Any ideas why this is still happening?

Hi SpeedFreek, if you can log into Newsarama (use your same username/email and password as you do here), check out this thread:

http://newsarama.com/common/forums/view ... =21&t=6005

There's a lot of info there, as people were having login issues there, too. I know there is a phpBB issue, which we hope to resolve soon. Let me know if you can log in. If you can't I'll figure out another way to get you the info.

-dh

S

SpeedFreek

Thanks, doublehelix. :D

I can log in to newsarama no problem, and the problems described in that thread are the problems I have.

At SDC I am always logged in to imaginova at the top, it is the phpBB that logs me out, seemingly every day, or every other time I visit. It seems they are still working on the issue.

(Windows Vista and Firefox 3 here, btw)

D

doublehelix

SpeedFreek, you're welcome. I'm glad you could log in there and get the info. And yes, we hope to get these login problems solved soon, but in part it's in phpBB's court. Our head developer is out this week, and will be back Monday, and I'll let him know that there are people on Space that are having similar problems to those on Newsarama.

Thanks for letting me know! :ugeek:

-dh

M

mental_avenger

I have the same problem as skywatcher does. I check the "keep me logged in" box and it does keep me logged in for a while. But if I leave and come back later, access to Free Space is gone, even though the upper right of the Board Index page shows my Avatar and says “Welcome, mental_avenger”. In order to access Free Space or post in any forum, I have to log out and log back in again.

M

MeteorWayne

You don't actually have to log out from the top right first. Right above the forum list is another "login"(just below "Text Size)"). Just log in there.
I don't seem to have this problem, BTW, I only get bumped out sometimes when my browser barfs.

C

CommonMan

I have Vista on my computer. I have been having problems with it not compating with alot of my other programs also, so I figued it had alot to do with space.com also. Another problem I have sometimes it that my computer locks up when I try to bring up a forum from my homepage, its not a login problem because I checked everytime and I was logged in o.k. Is anyone had this problem or is it just my stupid computer. After I reboot it works O.K.

S

Swampcat

Hey dh, is anything being done about this problem? I'm still having to log in more often than not despite clicking the box to stay logged in.

Hey, it's only an annoyance, but I don't have to deal with it at any of the other message boards I visit. Why is this board so "special"?

D

doublehelix

Sadly and honestly, I do not know the solution to this problem. I have heard some things about it being a phpBB sourced problem. Anyway, I'm forwarding this thread and another one in this forum to the developers, though. They know the inside story on it all. Sorry I can't be of more help at this moment in time.

-dh

B

Boris_Badenov

I have all the same problems as above & when I try to log in it tells me my email/password combination does not exist on the first try. It then works fine on the second try & kicks me to the SDC homepage. I then click on the discussion tab & all is okay. It's more of an annoyance, but I do wish it would go away.

C

CommonMan

Boris_Badenov":5ntf6pyl said:
I have all the same problems as above & when I try to log in it tells me my email/password combination does not exist on the first try. It then works fine on the second try & kicks me to the SDC homepage. I then click on the discussion tab & all is okay. It's more of an annoyance, but I do wish it would go away.

I have the same problem here at home. But it seems to work when I used my work computer at work.
So lets compare:
At Home:
I am using Vista home premium
64 bit system
Dail up

At work
Windows XP
High speed internet
32 bit system
What about you?

B

Boris_Badenov

CommonMan":2niibqrj said:
Boris_Badenov":2niibqrj said:

I have the same problem here at home. But it seems to work when I used my work computer at work.
So lets compare:
At Home:
I am using Vista home premium
64 bit system
Dail up

At work
Windows XP
High speed internet
32 bit system
What about you?
I have XP on both.

B

Boris_Badenov

That last post was jumping all over as I tried to type, that's another ongoing problem. It jumps all over on
posts.
I have XP on both work & home computers & it does it on both. DSL at work & cable at home.

B

Boris_Badenov

This is the message I get when it won't accept my login, as it just did. :evil:

"We are sorry. This email and/or password combination does not exist."

D

doublehelix

Boris_Badenov":1525njfr said:
That last post was jumping all over as I tried to type, that's another ongoing problem. It jumps all over on
posts.
I have XP on both work & home computers & it does it on both. DSL at work & cable at home.

Boris, are you by chance using IE8?

-dh

M

MeteorWayne

I am using IE8 and get that rarely. I just try again and it has worked every time.
MW

B

Boris_Badenov

doublehelix":3m9h921z said:
Boris, are you by chance using IE8?

-dh
I don't know for certain, but I believe so. How can I tell for certain?

M

MeteorWayne

Click on "Help" at the top, then on "About Internet Explorer"

I am currently running IE8, but for the SDC site it's actually an IE7 clone because IE8 caused problems with the writing window. That was chosen by the "compatibity" link also on the top row. I don't believe the login problem has anything to do with the IE version; it seems to be random and is quickly resolved by a reentry of the exact same data.

B

Boris_Badenov

It's IE8 at home.
When it does that I'll usually just copy everything to a Word Document & finish it there then copy it back to here.

B

Boris_Badenov

We are sorry. This email and/or password combination does not exist.
It just happened again at home. BTW, since I first posted on this thread I have made certain I wasn't just making a typo. Whatever reason is behind this it's definitely not because I speeled someting rong. :D

B

Boris_Badenov

It just happened at work. :evil:
It did remind me to check to what version of Internet Explorer I have here though. :D
IE7 in the office.

B

Boris_Badenov

There doesn't seem to be any detectable pattern to when or why this happens (like it just did :evil: ) & it really is more of annoyance than a real problem.

E

EarthlingX

Could it be some time-out on username/password processing component ?
(XP.SP3/FF3.5.2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts