Look up! The moon and 3 planets will gather after sundown this week

Since early October, my location mostly clouds and sometimes light rain. Last night on 13-Oct, I had clear skies again :) From my stargazing log. [Observed 1930-2045 EDT/2330-0045 UT. First Quarter Moon 13-Oct-2021 0325 UT so the Moon tonight was just past First Quarter or waxing gibbous. I used the 90-mm refractor with 14-mm for 71x views and true FOV a bit more than 60 arcminutes or 1-degree across. Jupiter's Great Red Spot crossed central meridian near 0149 UT, 14-Oct or 2149 EDT tonight. Io transit ended near 2353 UT so when I viewed, Io very close to Jupiter's limb, < 20 arcseconds. Many cloud bands visible on Jupiter, the NEB and SEB, along with some others tonight. At Saturn, I could see some cloud bands, rings, and the moon Titan distinct. When observing the Moon, many craters along terminator line or near the terminator line like Archimedes visible, excellent details visible. After a period of clouds and light rain, this was enjoyable to view the Moon, Jupiter, and Saturn tonight. I used a Moon filter when observing the Moon too. The Moon’s angular size tonight according to Virtual Moon Atlas, 31.94 arcminutes. The 4 Galilean moons were visible at Jupiter and the moon Titan visible at Saturn. Along with our Moon, that makes 6 moons viewed tonight. Jupiter retrograde in Capricornus, Saturn retrograde ended 11-Oct-2021 according to Starry Night.]

Latest posts