looking for Kvant 1 photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ace5

Much has been said about Parom vehicle - as a space tug - people here has compared it sometimes as the Kvant 1 service module (FGB-derived).<br />There is almost nothing about the real configuration of the Kvant 1 space station module for Mir. Kvant 1 was launched in 1987 as the first Mir add-on module, and it is very difficult to find its real complete shape (the whole vehicle) and its launcher (Proton) and payload shroud. Does anyone has a clue on this subject?<br />The graphics in the astronautix.com referring to the vehicle are too sketchy and small , so they are of little help if you want to know the actual design of the service module FGB for Kvant 1 and its payload shroud for Proton.<br />Thanks.

Q

qso1

Its probably not much help but here is a close approximation of the Proton Mir launcher I did awhile back. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

Q

qso1

And a 3D image of Kvant1 approaching Mir. And as you will notice, the Kvant1 was about half the size of the standard Salyut/Mir modules.<br /><br />I did the 3D models to scale and as accurately as possible. Very few images of Kvant1 were published before it docked with Mir because it was the first module to dock with Mir and as such, no camera available to take perspective shots except the docking camera which looks at it head on and in grayscale. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

A

ace5

You designs have two main errors:<br />1- The payload shroud of Proton used for Mir launch has a different design. It is larger on the upper part, like on Salyuts, to make room for the solar panels.<br />see<br />http://www.aviapress.com/viewonekit.htm?STA-012<br />and<br />http://www.aviapress.com/engl/sta/sta012.jpg<br />(but the shroud is white, in fact, not black, and there is no MIR name painted on it)<br /><br />2- and Kvant (37KE) was carried to Mir by a FGB like space tug (77KE-FSB serial number 166) borrowed from the FGB stuff of Salyut KB design office. The entire vehicle (Kvant and tug) was called TKM-E. <br />Only after the docking the FSB was jettisoned.

Q

qso1

As I mentioned in the post, a close approximation. I'm not that well informed anymore on space exploration.<br /><br />I use Lightwave 3D. It's not like I actually get my stuff seen, much less make money with it mainly cause I'm not that good with it. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts