looking to get a pair of astronomy binoculars

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dngray

Hey everyone, I am a 23 year old college student from Massachusetts looking to get into amateur astronomy.

For a while I was torn between getting a telescope or a nice pair of binoculars but I finally decided on the binoculars for it's portability and just getting my self oriented with different celestial bodies. I wanted a telescope for a while merely based on the fact that it can peer deeper into the universe than binoculars can.

Things I am interested in for a pair of astronomy binoculars:

I want to be able to see galaxies (Andromeda is a good start, don't need to see things billions of light years away)

I want a solid magnification so that I can hold the binoculars with my hand and see a lot but I don't want the shakiness of my body to make my target jump around. (heard 10X50 was a good place to start but what about a 12X?)

I want something of quality but I don't want to drain my bank account. ($100-300 range but the cheaper the better).

Waterproof is a must!

So what would you guys recommend? What is a good magnification for hand held use? What is a good brand? What can I expect to see with binoculars of the 10 to 12 magnification?

Any help would be awesome!

-Dave

A

a_lost_packet_

Welcome to SDC!

I'm certainly not the most qualified around here to answer your question. But, I can try to provide something useful.

Here's a link to a Sky and Telescope article on the subject. As far as expert opinions go, theirs would certainly be universally considered as one by the stargazing community. I've included a few others as well.

S&T - Binoculars for Astronomy

Astronomy.com - Using binoculars

Telescope.com (Orion mfrs) - Astronomy with Binoculars (Has a list of good objects easily seen with binocs including the Andromeda galaxy.)

Universe Today - Binoculars for Astronomy Has specific mfr and model recommendations as well.

As a sample, here's a supposedly good pair of heavy astronomy binocs that are suitable for land use as well: Celestron Skymaster, tripod adapter Waterproof & w/case- $279 It also comes with a "No Fault Lifetime Warranty" as well. I don't know how these compare with other brands but, the reviews seem to be fairly positive. But, you're going to need a tripod with it as it's going to be way too heavy to hold steadily for any amount of time. So, check around but, I think you have enough cash for a good setup for beginner astro-binocs with your specs.

S

SpaceTas

You will need a way to steady the binoculars; a mono-pod, tripod etc, propping up your arms on an inverted broom helps.
Andromeda galaxy will show as an elongated smudge. At the high end you'll just see the phase of venus, some craters on moon, and 1 or 2 of Jupiter's moons. Where binocs excel is looking along the Milky way, and big bright comets.

C

crazyeddie

dngray":2ie2p193 said:
I want to be able to see galaxies (Andromeda is a good start, don't need to see things billions of light years away)

I want a solid magnification so that I can hold the binoculars with my hand and see a lot but I don't want the shakiness of my body to make my target jump around. (heard 10X50 was a good place to start but what about a 12X?)

I want something of quality but I don't want to drain my bank account. ($100-300 range but the cheaper the better).

It sounds like you want the "the perfect binoculars". Unfortunately there is no such thing. Like with telescopes, you must juggle an assortment of factors until you find an acceptable compromise between size, weight, performance, and price.

If price was not a factor, I'd recommend a pair of Canon Image-Stabilized 18x50 binoculars, but they would set you back over $1,000.

If you want high magnification, you will find that your observing will not be satisfying because of handshake, which means you will need to buy a monopod or a articulated binocular holder.....which adds to the expense.

Waterproofing adds a lot to the price, and it's not necessary unless you will be using them in inclement weather, so I would go with a conventional pair.

If you are sticking with a hand-held binocular, I'd go with the traditional 7x50 or 10x50 models with BAK-4 prisms and multi-coatings. If you think you could add a device to hold your binoculars, then go with 15x70's. Orion has a good line of binoculars that will fit any budget, and they have an excellent return policy if you are not satisfied with your purchase. And if you are handy, you might consider building your own binocular observing chair, such as this:

http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=800

D

dngray

Thanks for all the helpful info guys, I really appreciate it. That binocular observing chair looks like a slice of heaven to me. I would love to build something like that someday.

So what do you guys think. I have pretty comprehensive understanding of the universe but as far as observing it on my own, I am a newbie. I do not think my budget would allow for a monopod at least just yet. Should I hold out until I save up enough money to purchase one or do you think a 10x50 would suffice for my needs? I am not afraid of holding the binoculars in my hand and I understand that the higher magnifications will only lead to shakiness.

A

a_lost_packet_

dngray":srhdrcay said:
Thanks for all the helpful info guys, I really appreciate it. That binocular observing chair looks like a slice of heaven to me. I would love to build something like that someday.

So what do you guys think. I have pretty comprehensive understanding of the universe but as far as observing it on my own, I am a newbie. I do not think my budget would allow for a monopod at least just yet. Should I hold out until I save up enough money to purchase one or do you think a 10x50 would suffice for my needs? I am not afraid of holding the binoculars in my hand and I understand that the higher magnifications will only lead to shakiness.

One thing you may want to do is instead of buying a telescope/speciality astro-binoc tripod is to buy a good quality camera/video tripod. Often, a label that say's "Telescope" is going to add %50.. I bought a very nice camera tripod for my telescope (which I don't use often enough) for $60. No, it didn't have eyepiece holders and the like and I had to get some adapters for it. But, it was suitable for my uses at the time and was durable enough to hold up my 8" scope. A good one, with a few pieces of gimcrackery added onto it to stabilize your binocs (duct tape and popsicle sticks were invented for a reason, you know..) should do you fine until you save up the cash for some nifty, specialty binoc tripod.

C

crazyeddie

dngray":1b6c2j1v said:

I own two pairs of binoculars: a 8x42 Adlerblick and a Canon 10x30 Image-Stablized. You might be surprised to learn that I almost never use my 8x42's any more. Once you've tried a pair of Image-Stabilized binoculars, it's hard to go back to dealing with handshake. Even though the 30mm aperture of the Canon binocs may seem small for astronomical viewing, I can actually see fainter objects with them for the simple reason that the steady image allows you to see deeper.

If I were you, I would look to buy a quality pair of used binoculars in the classified ads in Astromart or Cloudynights. There's a guy selling a pair of Orion Vista 10x50's on Astromart for $110, which is half of what they would cost new. If you have money left over, buy a lazy susan and a folding chair and get started on building your own binocular observing chair.

C

crazyeddie

Jazman1985":33hzi2fx said:
http://www.shopbarska.com/AB10168_1.html

This is a cheap pair, very similar to a pair I use, the extra 30x zoom function is useless unless you are stabilized against something. For the price, I don't think they can be beat.

"Cheap" is right, they have BAK-7 prisms, which are much inferior to BAK-4's. And they are not multi-coated, so the images will be dimmer....not good if you are using them for astronomy.

A

a_lost_packet_

dngray":2e6cgsxm said:
Hey everyone, I am a 23 year old college student from Massachusetts looking to get into amateur astronomy.

Any help would be awesome!

-Dave

Btw, Crazyeddie gives the most consistent great responses to these kinds of threads dealing with amateur/enthusiast astronomy. So, if he's making a recommendation, chances are it's going to be absolutely correct.

H

hal9891

I myself would love to get 10x70 or 7x70 binoculars, I imagine the milky way would look spectacular through them.

Now I have 20-50x50 monocular (that's half a binocular :) ) it's quite good for looking at moon or planets but not so much for looking at dim objects like galaxies or nebulae. I was quite surprised that I was even able to see Jupiter's cloud bands with it. The field of view is very narrow so a tripod is a must.

D

dngray

Ok so I have decided to up my spending budget and to get a tripod (so a higher magnification is a must). I am still lost when it comes to a quality brand. Is there any good combo deals like buy a binoc and get a tripod/monopod at a discount?

Anyone want to recommend by linking me some good deals.

Also would something like 20X or 25X be to much for a beginner?

C

crazyeddie

dngray":3vg65px8 said:
Ok so I have decided to up my spending budget and to get a tripod (so a higher magnification is a must). I am still lost when it comes to a quality brand. Is there any good combo deals like buy a binoc and get a tripod/monopod at a discount?

Anyone want to recommend by linking me some good deals.

Also would something like 20X or 25X be to much for a beginner?

I think these would be a good choice:

http://www.telescope.com/control/binocu ... binoculars

D

dngray

OK so I am going all out and going to go with this:

Orion Giant View 25x100 Astronomy Binoculars

Orion Paragon-Plus Binocular Mount and Tripod
http://www.telescope.com/control/access ... and-tripod

Orion Versatile Binocular Adapter
http://www.telescope.com/control/binocu ... ar-adapter

Will I need anything else? What are your thoughts? Sorry for all the questions, I just figure, if I am going to take this seriously, why not get get some quality equipment.

Also, what is the deal with the waterproof binocs? Is it necessary? I understand there is a lot of dew in the air late at night and wouldn't want that to destroy my binocs.

Thanks again!
-Dave

C

crazyeddie

dngray":2jgo1gdx said:
OK so I am going all out and going to go with this:

Orion Giant View 25x100 Astronomy Binoculars

Orion Paragon-Plus Binocular Mount and Tripod
http://www.telescope.com/control/access ... and-tripod

Orion Versatile Binocular Adapter
http://www.telescope.com/control/binocu ... ar-adapter

Will I need anything else? What are your thoughts? Sorry for all the questions, I just figure, if I am going to take this seriously, why not get get some quality equipment.

Also, what is the deal with the waterproof binocs? Is it necessary? I understand there is a lot of dew in the air late at night and wouldn't want that to destroy my binocs.

Thanks again!
-Dave

The Paragon Plus Binocular Mount you are considering is not rated for 100mm binoculars. They can only hold pairs up to 80mm. You will have to get something sturdier....and more costly, no doubt.

D

dngray

crazyeddie":je71w2zi said:
The Paragon Plus Binocular Mount you are considering is not rated for 100mm binoculars. They can only hold pairs up to 80mm. You will have to get something sturdier....and more costly, no doubt.

Thank god for your keen observations (pun somewhat intended)

I am not totally helpless bout could you recommend a good mount/tripod for a 100mm binoculars. Money is not an issue.

C

crazyeddie

dngray":3q2q5s60 said:
crazyeddie":3q2q5s60 said:

Thank god for your keen observations (pun somewhat intended)

I am not totally helpless bout could you recommend a good mount/tripod for a 100mm binoculars. Money is not an issue.

I might go with a Unimount from Universal Astronomics:

http://universalastronomics.com/

C

crazyeddie

dngray":2ivxi54o said:
http://www.skiesunlimited.net/index.php?ProductID=967

?!?!

That would work....but you still need to buy a tripod for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts