Looking to make a model shuttle whats the best kit out there

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

missionunknown

I'm used to the airfix brand being british but not sure if they do a model of the shuttle does anyone know if they do? I see a company called revell do one, but want to know if this one is any good, many thanks.

Ps I've just broke my leg so i've got a month of extreme boredom to contend with. I've just completed an airfix moon diorama of the apollo 11 mission and it took me two and a half days (i'll post a piccy if i get round to it). It looks pretty good to be fair. It said skill level 2 (4 is hardest) but i reckon it should be a 3 as it was mighty fiddling and much harder than making spitfires as i remember when i was a boy.

B

bdewoody

There are a few choices for building a Space Shuttle model. Revell/Monogram made a nice kit a while back and there are a few out of Japan. Your best bet for obtaining one now is via E-Bay or possibly some online hobby shops. There was a model that came with the launch pad complex and another with the Boeing 747 transport aircraft.

S

Shpaget

I have several Revell models (planes and a battleship) and they are pretty decent (apart from my lack of skill induced botching up) :lol:

N

newsartist

Just because a kit is "out of production" doesn't mean that you lose hope of finding one! There is Ebay and the 'back room' of your hobby shop. (Often gems can be found with damaged boxes, for under $20.00.)

The two main scales are 1/144th and 1/72nd. There are others in Metric scales. Lindbergh's is not that good.

Airfix Revell and Monogram all made 1/144 kits. One Revell kit had the Orbiter riding the back of the 747 SCA,

Revell and Monogram were the best in 1/72nd, with boosters and as Orbiter-only versions.

Here it gets confusing: Revell and Monogram merged into "Revell-Monogram" Both company's Shuttles were reissued at different times. They also carried different Orbiter names at different times. (Aftermarket decals can supply names, logos, etc; for any mission flown to date.)

I narrowly prefer the Revell mold, but any Revell/Monogram/Revell-Monogram kit is the best we are likely to see with the program's demise.

Both have subtle problems that don't matter unless you are a fanatic, willing to spend a year to build it. Both were molded before STS-1 flew, probably from a North American Rockwell mock up. Consequently the tile detail is basic, ...and wrong.

B

bdewoody

newsartist":2gt9ii33 said:
Just because a kit is "out of production" doesn't mean that you lose hope of finding one! There is Ebay and the 'back room' of your hobby shop. (Often gems can be found with damaged boxes, for under $20.00.)

The two main scales are 1/144th and 1/72nd. There are others in Metric scales. Lindbergh's is not that good.

Airfix Revell and Monogram all made 1/144 kits. One Revell kit had the Orbiter riding the back of the 747 SCA,

Revell and Monogram were the best in 1/72nd, with boosters and as Orbiter-only versions.

Here it gets confusing: Revell and Monogram merged into "Revell-Monogram" Both company's Shuttles were reissued at different times. They also carried different Orbiter names at different times. (Aftermarket decals can supply names, logos, etc; for any mission flown to date.)

I narrowly prefer the Revell mold, but any Revell/Monogram/Revell-Monogram kit is the best we are likely to see with the program's demise.

Both have subtle problems that don't matter unless you are a fanatic, willing to spend a year to build it. Both were molded before STS-1 flew, probably from a North American Rockwell mock up. Consequently the tile detail is basic, ...and wrong.
You gave the long version of my answer!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts