LOX, LH2 on the Earth orbit, on they way&surface of Mars

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jhoblik

Could you compare how difficult is to keep LOX, LH2 for month on the Earth orbit. I expected that is better on the way to Mars less Sun shine. What about LH2 on the Mars surface and then generated LOX from Mars atmosphere. It could be handle, but my feeling is that we need a lot of people just to keep that process alive.<br />Do you have any idea, if could be working in automatic control, without humane control and maintenance?<br />

B

barrykirk

As for less Sun Shine on the way to Mars, While in LEO a tank would spend a good percentage of it's time in the shadow of the earth.<br /><br />On the way to Mars, for the first few weeks, the distance to the sun would be about the same as for the Earth.

J

jhoblik

On the Earth orbit it will be hard to shield it from sun, because it is coming in short time from different angle. On the way to Mars could be configured the way that without any active parts could be shielded from Sun. But I would like to know if somebody could compare requirements to cool LOX, LH2 on the earth surface, in space, on the orbit of Mars and on the surface of Mars, in form of needed energy and complexity cooling device.

Status
Not open for further replies.