LRO Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Mission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MeteorWayne

We are coming up on the launch of LRO (currently tentatively scheduled for April 24) so I thought I'd start a thread for it.WayneThe Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO) is the first mission in NASA's Vision for Space Exploration, a plan to return to the moon and then to travel to Mars and beyond. The LRO objectives are to finding safe landing sites, locate potential resources, characterize the radiation environment, and demonstrate new technology. The spacecraft will be placed in low polar orbit (50 km) for a 1-year mission under NASA's Exploration Systems Mission Directorate. LRO will return global data, such as day-night temperature maps, a global geodetic grid, high resolution color imaging and the moon's UV albedo. However there is particular emphasis on the polar regions of the moon where continuous access to solar illumination may be possible and the prospect of water in the permanently shadowed regions at the poles may exist. Although the objectives of LRO are explorative in nature, the payload includes instruments with considerable heritage from previous planetary science missions, enabling transition, after one year, to a science phase under NASA's Science Mission Directorate. But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id. I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function 

M

MeteorWayne

<p>As part of this mission, Lunar Crater Observation and Sensing Satellite, known as LCROSS, will be impacted into the lunar surface.</p><p>The LCROSS mission is a small companion mission to the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter, scheduled to launch from Cape Canaveral, Fla., in spring 2009. Instruments aboard the satellite are designed to search for evidence of water ice on the moon as the spacecraft collides with a permanently shadowed crater near one of the moon's poles. The resulting debris plumes are expected to be visible from Earth with telescopes 10-to-12 inches in diameter or larger. </p><p>NASA has selected four teams to observe the impact of the Lunar Crater Observation and Sensing Satellite, known as LCROSS, with the lunar surface during the mission's search for water ice on the moon. <br /><br />The selected proposals are: <br /><br />-- Accessing LCROSS Ejecta: Water Vapor and Particle Size and Composition from Keck, Gemini, and the IRFT Telescopes; principal investigator Eliot Young, Southwest Research Institute in Boulder, Colo. <br /><br />-- LCROSS Lunar Plume Observations with the Apache Point Observatory; principal investigator Nancy Chanover, New Mexico State University in Las Cruces. <br /><br />-- Multi-spectral Imaging of the LCROSS Impact; principal investigator Marc Buie, Southwest Research Institute. <br /><br />-- Searching for Polar Water Ice During the LCROSS Impact Using the MMT Observatory; principal investigator Faith Vilas, University of Arizona in Tucson. </p><p><br />http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2009/feb/HQ_09-013_LCROSS_Observations.html</p><p>For more information about the Lunar Crater Observation and Sensing Satellite mission, visit: <br /></p><p align="center">http://www.nasa.gov/lcross </p><p><br />For more information about the LCROSS Observation Campaign, visit: <br /></p><p align="center">http://lcross.arc.nasa.gov/observation.htm </p><p><br />For more information about the Universities Space Research Association, visit: <br /></p><p align="center">http://www.usra.edu </p><p><br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Re: LRO (Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter) Mission page

Florida Today is reporting launch has been pushed back to May 20 due to a delay in a military satellite launch. When I have time later I'll check the NASA site for confirmation.

M

MeteorWayne

From spaceflightnow:

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/atlas/av0 ... 1june.html

Liftoff of the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter and co-passenger LCROSS -- the Lunar Crater Observation and Sensing Satellite -- is slipping from May 21 to sometime in June. Project planners are evaluating trajectories and the science potential to determine whether to shoot for a lunar launch window opening June 2 or wait until the next period that starts June 17.

A United Launch Alliance Atlas 5 rocket will carry the spacecraft, but assembly of that two-stage booster atop a mobile launching platform can't begin until after an Air Force flight now scheduled for liftoff Friday night.

M

mr_mark

"LRO has seven science instruments to survey mountains, craters, slopes, boulders and other lunar surface features. Scientists expect to get images that can reveal details as small as about 1.6 feet (50 centimeter) in size. There are plenty of objects around for reference.

"When we fly over the Apollo landing sites, we'll be able to see the lunar rovers, the lower half of the excursion modules and all the areas we've landed before," Tooley said." from msnbc report today.......... Hope this puts an end to those people who say we didn't go to the moon.

R

robotical

"When we fly over the Apollo landing sites, we'll be able to see the lunar rovers, the lower half of the excursion modules and all the areas we've landed before," Tooley said." from msnbc report today.......... Hope this puts an end to those people who say we didn't go to the moon.

Nah, they'll just claim NASA photoshopped them in.

M

MeteorWayne

Just a bump, since this mission is scheduled to launch on my birthday, June 17.

A

aphh

Is LRO a direct moonshot or is the orbit raised gradually and then captured by moon's gravity? If it is a direct moonshot, then we may be able to try to get a visual of the TLI burn.

M

MeteorWayne

Re: LRO/LCROSS Mission

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter, or LRO, and Lunar Crater Observation and Sensing Satellite, or LCROSS, spacecraft are set to launch together to the moon aboard an Atlas V rocket on June 17. Three launch opportunities from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla., are at 3:51 p.m., 4:01 p.m. and 4:11 p.m. EDT. NASA Television's coverage of the launch will begin at 1 p.m. EDT.

If the launch is postponed 24 hours, the launch times on June 18 are 5:12 p.m., 5:22 p.m. and 5:32 p.m.

LRO's objectives during its mission orbiting the moon are to identify safe landing sites, locate potential resources, characterize the radiation environment, and demonstrate new technology. LRO will orbit the poles of the moon during a one-year exploration mission followed by a planned multi-year science mission.

Approximately four to five months after launch, LCROSS will impact the moon, providing key information about the lunar composition and presence of water ice or hydrated minerals.

Prelaunch news conference
A prelaunch news conference on Monday, June 15, at 1 p.m. will be held at the news center at NASA's Kennedy Space Center and broadcast live on NASA TV. Participants in the briefing will be:

- Todd May, program manager, Lunar Precursor Robotic Program, NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center, Huntsville, Ala.
- Chuck Dovale, NASA launch director, Kennedy Space Center
- Vernon Thorp, program manager, NASA Missions, United Launch Alliance, Cape Canaveral
- Craig Tooley, LRO project manager, NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Md.
- Daniel Andrews, LCROSS project manager, NASA's Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, Calif.
- Clay Flinn, Atlas V launch weather officer, 45th Weather Squadron, Cape Canaveral Air Force Station

LRO and LCROSS mission science briefing
A mission science briefing on Tuesday, June 16, at 1 p.m. will be held at Kennedy's news center and broadcast live on NASA TV. Participants in the briefing will be:

- Mike Wargo, chief lunar scientist, Exploration Science Mission Directorate, NASA Headquarters, Washington
- Rich Vondrak, project scientist, Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter, Goddard
- Tony Colaprete, project scientist, LCROSS, Ames

To view the webcast and the blog or to learn more about the LRO and LCROSS missions, visit the mission home pages at:

http://www.nasa.gov/LRO

and

http://www.nasa.gov/LCROSS

E

earth_bound_misfit

Cheers Wayne. Happy birthday too :)
With the launch kept getting delayed because of other launches getting pushed back, it has got me wondering just how busy is KSC? I guess I get too transfixed on the STS problem and forget about all the other stuff that gets launched from there.

Do the neighbours get annoyed? :)

Anyhow, back to our regular programming ;).

A

aphh

This is the first mission of "Vision of Space Exploration" program. We are going to the Moon. We are going to see the hardware already landed there for the first time.

K

kelvinzero

Shhh... Some of the people on this site are old enough to have seen it the first time. :)

D

davf

Been a long time since I've hung around the boards here..... hope someone can give me some practical advice on seeing this launch.

It looks like I have a good chance of being down there to watch this launch (provided it makes it's June 17th target). I've watched a shuttle launch before and the crowds were huge.

What kind of crowds to these launches typically get? If I make it, I'm planning on trying to watch it from Jetty Park in Port Canaveral. Any thoughts from those who have done it before or who live in the area? Are the crowds going to be prohibitive (similar to a shuttle launch) or are these launches more 'enthusiast only' kind of things??

Edit to add: Of course the other option is the KSC Visitor Center... a little closer but is it going to be a zoo? I hate zoos.

Are there better areas to watch it from? I know lc 41 is on the north end of the cape but this seems like a pretty good location from a google earth perspective and from photos I've seen...

Thanks!

Dave

M

MeteorWayne

We should find out this afternoon which mission will launch on Wed June 17th...LRO or STS-127.

A

aphh

I did some very preliminary thinking and it seems the TLI burn for LRO will indeed occur on the night side of the earth. If the launch occurs as planned on Wednesday in the afternoon, the Moon will be waning, which means a pro-grade launch due east would have the tangent for trans lunar transit orbit reside at about opposite side of the world to Florida.

The tangent is ofcourse leading the moon somewhat, as the trans-lunar coasting phase to moon takes about 4 days.

As the moon flies low on the horizon in summer, the best place to observe the TLI burn would be somewhere near the equator. Definitely not here up north, as moon is very low in the horizon and it would not be dark at that time.

B

bobble_bob

Decision tomorrow as to when launch LRO. At this moment, shuttle has priority if all goes well

M

MeteorWayne

Scheduled on NASA TV today at 1 p.m. EDT - LRO/LCROSS Prelaunch News Conference .

Not sure how this will be affected by shuttle/LRO swap on Wednesday.

M

MeteorWayne

Very good LRO/LCROSS Science briefing this morning. They changed the time to 9 AM so I missed the live, but caught the replay. It's ramped up my excitement about this mission.

I imagine SDC will have a writeup (Tariq asked a few questions).

I'll read that and add some comments from my scribblenotes in a little while; too much there to type out without correcting my horrible typing :(

MeteorWayne":maw5059e said:
Very good LRO/LCROSS Science briefing this morning. They changed the time to 9 AM so I missed the live, but caught the replay. It's ramped up my excitement about this mission.

I imagine SDC will have a writeup (Tariq asked a few questions).

I'll read that and add some comments from my scribblenotes in a little while; too much there to type out without correcting my horrible typing :(

Hi Wayne,

Looking forward to seeing your notes & Tariq's article.

I am really looking forward to the mission immensly. Great to see some real high resolution shots of the far side & the entire Moon being mapped at the same highish resolution globally & also minerological global HiRes mapping.

Just wonder as to how reliable such minerological maps are as the lunar surface is constantly being bombarded by micrometeoroids? The imagery from the LROC alone will reveal a major geological, well selenological treasure trove.

Lets hope she launches successfully after STS 127 Endeavour, which too I hope will launch safely.

Andrew Brown.

J

job1207

Saw most of the replay as well. It was a very detailed, professional briefing. A couple of things.

How did they pick the crater?

I think this is a great mission. There is one drawback, they are impacting just one crater.

Since my major computer hosage last week that I have sibnce sorted out, video will not play, without crashing my set up (it will be properly sorted hopefully before too long).

Can someone please post on here details or e-mail me at : andrew.brown1969@btinternet.com.

I would love to know exactly where LCROSS is expected to impact & how LRO will commence the orbital mission.

Much appreciated.

This mission will be one for the history books for sure & is / will be one of my favourites.

:mrgreen: BTW it's MeteorWayne's Birthday today. Happy Birthday Wayne. :mrgreen:

Andrew Brown.

M

MeteorWayne

Andrew, just hang on a little bit. Working on my scribblenotes from the Science Briefing.
Was distracted yesterday by the STS-127 non-launch and a volunteer effort for river monitoring that is coming up shortly.

I'm doing them now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts