Lunar Launch Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ambrous

I remember reading that there were different lunar launch windows for the US and the USSR in the late 1960s space race. Why the different windows. I could see wanting to land where the sun was a certain distance above the lunar horizon, but wouldn't that be the same for both launch locations?

W

willpittenger

Would the latitude of the Soviet launch site resulted in narrower windows than what the US had? I figure that would have resulted in a different TLI burn. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

A

ambrous

I was specifically thinking about the December 1968 window for each country to sent the first man to orbit/circumnavigate the moon. As I recall the USSR date was around Dec. 12 and the U.S. date was around Dec 21. Is it not possible to send a ship to the moon outside those date even if you don't worry about the sun and lunar horizon since there is no landing to think about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts