LV's nearing the end of their career

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sond

Just wondering here,<br /><br />With the last Atlas 2AS being prepared for launch, which other family or subtype of launch vehicle is nearing the end of their career and what vehicle is going to replace it.<br /><br />I already mentioned the Atlas 2, if I recall correctly the Titan is also as good as finished. How many frames are there left, or is it still in production.<br /><br />On the Russian side, I know that the Kosmos 3M is nearing the dawn of its career. A couple of years ago 14 were in storage, but some of them have been used (one recently). Does anybody has an idea about how many are left?<br /><br /><br />Are there any other LV's I forgot and what is the status of them?<br /><br /><br />

M

mrmorris

The Atlas is still around, just not that model. The Altas and Delta have several EELV configurations that will continue to be used. <br /><br />I'm not the booster junkie that some on this board are, but my understanding is that the 2AS was the last of the pre-EELV designs (i.e. the last based on ICBM-era designs). Likewise the Titan was never an EELV booster. The configurations now offered for the Atlas and Delta lines all use largely common modules in various configurations to vary payload capabilities.

M

mikejz

It seems like the Delta III was kind of a deadend, I remember a few failed and then no more flew.

P

propforce

Delta III has moved onto Delta IV, e.g., EELV fleet. But the Delta II are still around.<br /><br />http://www.astronautix.com/lvfam/atlas.htm<br />Atlas Family<br />From left - MX-774 of 1946; MX-1593 of 1953; Atlas A, B, D; Atlas Agena D; Atlas Centaur; Atlas I, IIA, IIAS, IIIA, IIIB, V<br />Credit: Mark Wade<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts