Maglev Space Ship

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

therocketjohn

The design of the Shuttle and Aries space vehicles seem to consume a huge amount of fuel just getting off the ground and up to speed. I imagine this adds huge cost because it makes the vehicle heavier, more explosive, and it creates requirements for huge fuel tanks. Is there any reason a Maglev track couldn't be constructed to run off the power grid, then a space vehicle could be put on it to get up to speed without so much fuel, then the vehicle could just launch off the end of the track while saving vehicle size and complexities related to detachable fuel tanks and solid rocket boosters? I wonder if any one can say if this a practical idea?

T

The_Chef

How fast would you develop how many G's? And how long would the track have to be to develop 17,500 mph?

T

therocketjohn

At http://www.precast.org/publications/sol ... mach10.htm, it says the following:

the U.S. Air Force’s 46th Test Group is building this military track for weapons systems testing that uses a rocket-mounted sled designed to reach Mach 10. The Air Force foresees the project as a five-mile test track running alongside its existing 10-mile test track, which currently holds the world record as the longest (almost 10 miles) and fastest (6,453 mph) test track. Both tracks run parallel and serve the same basic purpose, but the MagLev’s track will provide a more realistic, low-vibration environment.

I don't know the rational behind the 5-mile versus 6,453mph relation, but from this, if its linear, then maybe it requires a 10-15 mile track to get up to 17,500 mph. However, I wonder if it really needs to get to 17,500 on the track? Doesn't it just need to go that speed to stay in orbit? Maybe it could go slower until in space, then speed up with less energy when it gets there because of less gravity?

M

MeteorWayne

Heating becomes a real issue at those speeds at sea level.

M

maxqueue

The maglev is not providing propulsion on the USAF track, it is just for suspension. It still uses rockets to propel the vehicle

MeteorWayne is right about the heat.

Also a track would limit the launch azimuth

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts