Magnetism and galaxies

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

j_rankin

dont ridicule me cos im no scientist and im relatively new to astronomy, but i had a funny thought pop into my head and i'd like someone to tell me why it's not possible, so here goes:<br /><br />Does magnetism have any affect over interstellar distances? In one galaxy there might be alot of iron, which is being pulled in towards a bigger galaxy with more iron. <br />As more iron is created within a galaxy, the greater the magnetic attraction would be. Ie, as more magnetars got created, the magnetic charge of the galaxy would increase, and the attraction to a more iron rich galaxy would increase.<br /><br />Or perhaps if a galaxy's direction of magnetism faced a tangent to a cluster of galaxies it would be repelled and forced out.<br /><br />Anyway.......why isn't this the case? Please explain.

E

enigma10

Maybe this article can answer some of your ques.<br /><br /><font color="yellow"><i>It has been well-established that stars, planets, galaxies and even diffuse interstellar gas are all also magnetic. This ``cosmic magnetism'' cannot be ascribed to permanent magnets like the ones which come in a science kit, but to motions of huge, thin clouds of gas which are electrically charged. Cosmic magnetism spans an enormous range in its strength, varying by a factor of a hundred billion billion between the weak magnetic fields in interstellar space and the extreme magnetism found on the surface of collapsed stars. Because these cosmic magnetic fields are all-pervasive, they play a vital role in controlling how celestial sources form, age and evolve.</i></font>/i><br /><br /> The link <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <em>"<font color="#333399">An organism at war with itself is a doomed organism." - Carl Sagan</font></em> </div>

J

j_rankin

So there is an effect? Then why would it be wrong to think that as galaxies get more magnetic, they also get faster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts