magnetism and spacetime

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stbean

Hi, <br />I've recently become interested with magnets and magnetic fields. My question is regarding a magnets effect on spacetime, if any. I know there is an effect with gravity, such as the space time curvature around the sun..gravity is the result of the space time curvature, which results in a pulling force. Does a magnet influence the spacetime grid around, since it does seem to produce a force of attraction or repulsion. Is this force a result of curving spacetime?

M

MeteorWayne

No, magnetism has no effect on spacetime, other than to influence the locations of ionic matter. The result of that is usually neutral over larger scales.<br /><br />Spacetime iis affected by gravity, magnetism works through the electromagnetic force. There are two other forces, the strong and weak force, but they operate at very tiny distance scales. (atom size and smaller) <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

S

stbean

Ok, but it is known that accelleration has an effect on time. Clocks near large masses run slower than clocks far from matter due to the curvature of spacetime resulting from the mass. Also, accellerating mass to extreme velocities will slow that matters internal clock. Now, two magnets with opposite poles positioned with eachother will create a constant force of attraction(accelleration) if the are mounted stationary so they do not move. If there is accelleration, time must be altered....though it may be very minute. And time is not seperable from space, spacetime. So if time is altered, wouldnt spacetime be altered as well?

M

MeteorWayne

There is only acceleration if the objects move. <br />There may be constant force, but if the objects are mounted stationary, there is no acceleration.<br /><br />Potential energy does not equal acceleration. Acceleration is a change in velocity, requiring that it be kinetic energy. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

V

vandivx

<font color="orange">Now, two magnets with opposite poles positioned with eachother will create a constant force of attraction(accelleration) if the are mounted stationary so they do not move. If there is accelleration, time must be altered....though it may be very minute. And time is not seperable from space, spacetime. So if time is altered, wouldnt spacetime be altered as well?</font><br /><br />re Wayne: what he means here is that being situated in a gravitational field is equivalent to being situated in an accelerating system (Einstein's famous elevator thought experiment) <br /><br />however that said, magnetic force is not gravitation and it is not equivalent to acceleration as in Einstein's thought experiment<br /><br />on the other hand static magnetic field is energy field of some sort and so it will curve space and time will slow down in it same as in any other energy field, that doesn't mean of course that the magnetic force field is due to space curvature, i.e., that it curves space and that curvature is then seen as magnetic force, that just doesn't follow, there is no physical (picturable) model how magnetism works like what Einstein invented for gravitation (curved spacetime)<br /><br />I think it was Faraday who was first intrigued by the relationship between gravitation and electricity/magnetism and tried to find some connection between the two phenomena and later on Einstein did try for some unification of these two (also on the basis of the curvature of spacetime) but without results<br /><br />vanDivX <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.