Major Planetary Announcement Tuesday from NASA

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gpurcell

Anyone familiar with their work?<br />________________________<br /><br />Major NASA Extrasolar Planet Discovery Announcement Scheduled for August 31st <br /><br />A team of planet-hunters will announce their discovery of a new class of planets beyond our solar system at a NASA Science Update at 1 p.m. EDT on Tuesday, August 31. Their discovery represents a significant and much-anticipated advance in the hunt for extra-solar planets. <br /><br />Panelists include: <br /><br />Dr. Geoffrey Marcy, University of California, Berkeley <br />Dr. R. Paul Butler, Department of Terrestrial Magnetism, Carnegie Institution of Washington <br />Dr. Barbara McArthur, University of Texas, Austin <br />Dr. Alan Boss, staff research astronomer, Department of Terrestrial Magnetism, Carnegie Institution of Washington <br />Dr. Anne Kinney, moderator, director, Universe Division, Science Mission Directorate, NASA, Washington <br />

S

steve01

Is this in regards to the "super planet" that was found or something entirely different?

G

gpurcell

They seem to have iron concentration as a research emphasis. I wonder if they've figured out a way to reliably detect rocky planets.

5stone10

I don't see why if they are bringing in Marcy and Butler, who have mostly worked independently - there aren't also top level people from say University of New South Wales, who are also at the top of exoplanet research.

R

redracer02

Something entirely different, something very new. I'll be watching tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts